Skip to content
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Chuck Hollowell
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Should I get a buyer's agent to make a short sale offer?

Chuck Hollowell
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted Jul 30 2014, 10:48

I am working on my first investment property purchase. I have found some short sale opportunities on the MLS that I am interested in pursuing. I am trying to decide if it makes sense for me to connect with a buyer's agent to assist with this.

I understand that conventional wisdom in most situations is to get a buyer's agent.  But, I have heard it suggested that if the listing agent in a short sale is getting an additional commission, he might be motivated to work harder to make my offer work.  Since this market is hot, I expect multiple bids on these properties.  Is the short sale situation one where it makes sense to just work with the seller's agent?

Or is it just smarter to try to connect with a good investor-friendly realtor and let them assist me as a buyer's agent?

In case it impacts the analysis, one of the listing agents is using a third-party company to assist with all the paperwork and negotiation involved in the short sale. Presumably he is splitting his commission with that company and he's not getting involved in the day-to-day work required to help bring it to closure. So I feel comfortable that that particular listing has folks involved with expertise in this area. The other listings do not have such a third-party company involved.

Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...