Bob Berry
  • Venice, CA
Votes |
Sell and walk away, or 1031?

Bob Berry
  • Venice, CA
Posted May 13 2015, 13:27

Hello BP people

I find myself at on the fence, I have a owner occupied triplex in Venice CA I have owned this since 1995 the property has appreciated a lot looking at about a sale of 2.2 million 

My problem is that I can't get a REFI based on my debt to loan, it's 80% even though my income on the property supports the new loan the bank is looking at my personal income only, I have tried for 3 years to try and get my first and second combined $720k I also have a large CC debt on the side. I'm so fed up with the banks, I have never missed a payment and the same goes for my credit score perfect but for the total debt I have out is very high, so even with 1.3 plus in equity I'm stuck. My rents are $5,700 a month very solid, If I moved into my smallest unit of the three I could bring my rental income up to $7,100 a month I guess this is an option, or I could just sell this summer? The capital gains are huge so I was thinking of a 1031, but after being a live on site landlord I'm pretty much over that. I'm going to fix up my unit now, as it's the only one of the three that needs a little paint and TLC ( The other two are really nice ) and if I can't find a way to consolidate the two loans I think I will list the property! I might end up with $730k after cap gains if I just walk away.

So very fed up with the banks.

Bob V

Venice CA

Loading replies...