Skip to content
Goals, Business Plans & Entities

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Coburn
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Entity for auction fix-and-flip vs buy-and-hold, with/without conventional financing

Thomas Coburn
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Jul 16 2014, 23:06

Hello all... I'm a bit confused on how best to 

My wife and I own two LLCs now taxed as S-Corps. So, I understand the purpose.

However, I'm confused how when, and how, to put/transfer a title to property into the LLC.

I'm in Washington state.

If I buy a property at a foreclosure auction, and use a combination of my money and hard money, I've been told by my real estate broker to:

• 1. If flipping, do nothing. 
  • 2. If buy-and-hold, immediately refinance, then transfer title to LLC.

This seems to go against my basic understanding of an LLC. It seems the LLC needs to make the purchase.

• Also, if conventional lenders will make loans on up to four properties, and the mortgages are in my name, how do these transfer to an LLC? 
  • Doesn't transferring title trigger a 'due on sale' clause in most mortgages?

Anyway... I'm preparing to bid on several properties very soon, but am concerned I'm going to do so in the wrong entity.

I've ordered @Mark Ferguson "Real Estate Blueprint". It's FANTASTIC. Yet, I'm not clear on the entity form on a per transaction basic. And I've ordered @J Scott's flip and repair books, but haven't received yet.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH in advance for reading this... and replying if you can help. I really do appreciate it.

Have a great week!

Tommy, Seattle, WA

Loading replies...