Skip to content
Goals, Business Plans & Entities

User Stats

Votes
Wendell De Guzman
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Real Estate Internship - Antidote to the "Gurus"?

Wendell De Guzman
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Oct 16 2014, 10:17

I was approached by a young lady here on BP who is passionate about real estate investing. Her name is  @Shashawna Coombs . She was so passionate about real estate specially after she attended a real estate "seminar". BUT she was frustrated because the "guru" she listened to was asking $35,000 for her to get the REAL information (the Upsell). At 18 years old and no job, there was no way she can afford that money.

So, I told her - forget the guru and instead work for me as a real estate intern. You will learn MORE by working with my real estate team on a daily basis than what you will get from a $35,000 Real Estate Guru Program.

Just 8 weeks later, she learned the following:

1. How to do Comparative Market Analysis - she does comps better than the majority of real estate agents I know

2. How to find cash buyers using the MLS

3. How to post Craigslist ads and avoid having your ads FLAGGED

4. How to find sellers of vacant properties

5. How to find out what a property is worth using the INCOME method

and so much more.

In a few weeks, Shashawna will be promoted from an intern to become one of our Acquisition Vice Presidents. Why? She has learned a LOT and she has become a very valuable member of our team. It's time for her to make money on what she has learned. And she will. Had I started at 18 years old I am probably a BILLIONAIRE by now (seriously).

I think I have stumbled on the best ANTI-GURU program with my experience with Shashawna. I get approached everyday by people wanting mentoring or coaching but I turn down all these requests because I don't have the time. But I am liking this real estate internship program. It has made me money and at the same time we were able to teach Shashawna.

What about the more experienced investors out there? How do you handle people asking you for mentoring and coaching while you still do your real estate business (and avoid becoming a GURU)?

How about the newbie investors? Would you rather work as an intern for free or pay $35,000 to some guru?

Loading replies...