• Manchester, NH
Votes |
Are real estate degrees worth it?

Matt Lefebvre
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Manchester, NH
Posted Apr 7 2014, 09:00

Hello everyone!

I come here asking a rather important question that pertains to me personally. My big question is, is it worth going to college for a real estate degree if planning on being a full-time investor?

Let me give a bit of background information here...
I'm currently 16 years old and near the end of my junior year in high school. I'm "homeschooled" having finished most of my credit requirements in my previous years of high school, so I have a very flexible schedule. I have an internship lined up with the largest real estate brokerage in New Hampshire (Keller Williams). Assuming I like what I see there, I potentially plan on working as a real estate agent (once I turn 18) while I build up enough cash to finance my first investment. However, as has been drilled into my and generations before me, I'm still considering going to college just because I've heard its worth it. Of course, with the price tag and time commitment attached, I'm not sure how beneficial it'll be. So this all circles back to my question...

Is it worth going to college for a real estate degree if planning on being a full-time investor?

Please, if you have any opinion at all, I would love to hear it; regardless of if you know anything about the subject or not. I just would like to hear as many opinions as possible so I don't end up wasting my time and money in a four-year degree, or going broke because I'm completely unprepared for the "real world" of investing.

Thank you fellow BiggerPockets members!

-Matt Lefebvre

Loading replies...