Ken Radino
  • Blue Springs, MO
Votes |
Townhouse vs Single Family vs Duplex

Ken Radino
  • Blue Springs, MO
Posted Apr 9 2014, 13:03

Hello all,

I am a new investor that hasn't made a deal yet. I am looking for pros/cons on different property types keeping in mind that I am just starting out and would be managing myself.

I like the idea of a townhouse that has maintenance provided (although HOA dues may rise). It would also give me a newer property (less than 12 years old) than if I bought a SF or Duplex (Blue Springs, MO).

When I lived in a townhouse, I know the HOA paid for trash, snow removal, lawn care, had amenities such as a pool and workout room, and even had insurance in case a roof or siding needed repairs.

I also like single families because I can get a bigger return. Most of the ones I can afford are in bad shape, and I am not a handyman (video director). My concern with duplexes is who is responsible for lawn care/snow removal, and most in the area that I can afford are section 8, which I know very little about.

I am lucky to have all these options in my town, but I want to hear what others think a newbie should start with and why. Please keep in mind that I would prefer to buy and hold. Thank you in advance for any and all input.

Loading replies...