Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Starting Out - Should I Shake Up My Strategy Already?

Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Posted Aug 27 2014, 10:50

Newbie on the BiggerPockets team here and I had a quick question about the Denver market.

First: A little background on my Real Estate Investing Strategy:

I originally planned to get started with a buy and hold strategy, using the "How to Hack Your Housing and Live for Free" strategy Brandon suggests here:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/11/02...

BUT, after looking around it seems that deals in Denver are few and far between on these types of properties, especially in the area that I want to live in.

Here's my question - should I change up my strategy and go for a fix and flip?

Inventory is low and houses are being sold rapidly (often above asking price).  I'm probably more of a DIY guy and would do most of the repairs myself on the evenings and weekends.  I think I'm going to have an extremely difficult time finding a property that can be turned into a buy and hold rental in the Denver metro area (where I want to live).

Pros of this strategy - I get experience in the requisite types of construction that will help me out when estimating repair costs in future investments AND I won't have to settle for a property that almost certainly won't meet the "2% rule" (or likely even a 1% rule).

Cone - This is no longer a passive investment.

What do you guys think?  Is there another creative way to make my first purchase of a primary residence an investment in the hot Denver Real Estate Market?

Loading replies...