• Investor
  • Yokosuka, Japan
Votes |
My first deal!

Pyrrha Rivers
  • Investor
  • Yokosuka, Japan
Posted Sep 1 2014, 00:36

I’m struggling to write this because I have so much to say it is difficult not to write an entire novel. So here is my attempt to be brief. J

January to August 2014 Yes, it took me that long to purchase my first property.

I do not make resolutions but always evaluate my financial goals in January. This January I decided to begin building a buy and hold real estate portfolio.

I live in Japan and decided to invest in the US. Distance made me consider several options, Turnkey being one of the strongest. I’m a school teacher so I decided to go States Side during my summer break. I narrowed it down to three TK companies, decided to visit them in the summer and continued to network and communicate with investors on BP. I arrived in the US in mid-June, started trying to set up my appointments to visit the TK companies which were all in Tennessee. (I really wanted to invest in my backyard in GA so I kept looking for properties there.) The more I looked, the more I became convinced that I should focus on buying in GA and let go of the TK purchase idea.

Throughout this process I have kept one thing in mind that has consistently been said by so many. “Take action!” I decided to follow this advice even when not quite sure I knew what I was doing because on every single podcast I have heard Brandon Turner ask guest after guest what they think makes the difference between those who become successful and those who fail or never start and the consensus it to take action. Be willing to make mistakes but get started. So, I got started, perhaps paid too much as is the common newbie pattern, but I set a goal to make this first purchase during my summer vacation while in Atlanta and two days prior to returning to Japan I finally landed a deal! Now I’m working through the light rehab needed and with the help of my daughter will try our hand at self-managing. Again, not sure of what we’re doing every step of the way, but we are “taking action” and hoping for the best. Of course this is not without the great help and guidance found in BP. It is because of the generosity of members here that I got the courage and my daughter became involved. I asked permission to publish the names of those who have been most instrumental in my reaching this first deal milestone. @Wendell de Guzman took me under his wing, allowed me to visit with his action-packed team in Ft. Myers FL, told me to “Take massive action” and provided an opportunity for me to invest with them. Thank you for your help and guidance Wendell! @Rick Baggenstoss has been helping me from the very start. Giving me feedback on options I had been considering, guidance about the areas he is knowledgeable about and very solid advice about anything I’ve asked him about. Very generous and caution oriented. Thanks Rick

Many others along the way like Naga A, Sharad M. Richard Montoya, Anthony Martin have generously given of themselves to me in one way or another.

Last but not least, my two wonderful mentors: @Lisa Phillips  inspiration personified! And

@Tom Yung Tom has been holding my hand step by step through this process and thanks to his leadership initiative and spirit of sharing, my daughter became interested in Real Estate investing and has partnered with me in this first deal. How wonderful is this community? There is no way to count the ways but I believe everyone who has spent even a small amount of time here understands the greatness of what @Joshua Dorkin has created and @Brandon Turner so seamlessly supports.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Loading replies...