Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Karen M.
  • Hales Corners, WI
Votes |
What are some options for funding a rehab project?

Karen M.
  • Hales Corners, WI
Posted Oct 19 2014, 16:57

Dear BP friends --

I am thinking of buying a property for cash.  However, I am concerned about using up all of my non-retirment money on a property deal.  It's just scary.  We obviously need to have an emergency fund for our family, and it feels good to have some cash around, so I can't throw every last cent into 

So, I'm trying to think of options to scratch up money for a rehab.  The property I am considering has a good interior, but definitely needs a new roof and may need a new air conditioner, furnace, electrical updates, etc.  

Option 1 -- run up a credit card?  Ack!

Option 2 -- take a Home Equity Loan on my primary residence?  Ack!

Option 3 -- beg  encourage family members to loan or invest (aka the Brandon Turner method -- see podcast #92)  Ack!

Option 4 -- find a partner or a hard money lender  Ack!

Option 5 -- cash flow the rehab through a monthly budget --- maybe I'm not going to say Ack to this one -- maybe this is the right idea here. 

Option 6 -- 401k loan??  Ack!

What am I missing?   What would you do if you had enough to buy the home but not enough, or maybe not quite enough of a comfort level to self-fund both the rehab plus a cushion?  

(Note: I am a daily Dave Ramsey listener, but I get very torn about where Dave Ramsey meets up with real estate investing.   I am OK with some debt, but I don't want to put myself in a risky place, so I need to be prudent and very conservative about managing the money.)

I am not sure if this is the house, but I might make an offer and see what happens!  But, I'm scared and not sure about stretching the budget.

Also, let's talk about exit strategies -- Ack!

1.  Sell it for below market value

2.  Fix it and sell it for market value

3.  Rent it out  

My main idea is to keep the property and rent it out and hold it,  or to sell it.   It might actually be a good flip (I need to run the calculators), but I desire to own a rental and it might be a very nice rental too.

Thanks for any conversation. I appreciate it!!

Karen

Loading replies...