• Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Where and how to invest?

Logan Allec
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Nov 24 2014, 13:16

What to do?  I know nothing.  I don't even know my strategy.  I'm looking for wisdom, stream of consciousness, whatever--any suggestions that wouldn't require me to step away from my current employment.  I have a growing pot of disposable income to invest as I'm single, living like a bum, and keeping steady at a decently-paying job.  I want to make the smartest moves I can financially before settling down, getting married, buying my own home, etc., and I'm willing to live like a pauper in order to do so.

I've been seriously considering buying turnkey property out-of-state (I have been thinking in Austin for appreciation [that's what the turnkey companies tell me--though some reports I've found online claim that Austin is wayyyyyy overpriced right now] or Indianapolis for cash flow [ditto]), but given my age and station in life I feel like I can be a bit more "risky" than merely paying retail (or more) for a property to get a few thousands a year in cash flow just to sit on it and wait until the mortgage is paid off.  Or is that just youthful naivety talking?  Does this rather boring approach actually pan out if I start now and acquire 5ish properties by the time I'm 30 and 10ish by the time I'm 35?

And this probably sounds silly, but recently I got the illustrious and romantic idea to purchase a 4-plex using FHA financing in San Diego (read: expensive and won't cash flow, but vacancies would be low [very desirable city], and although prices have increased substantially in the past few years, I have to think there's still some room to grow, especially if I'm in it for the long-haul, though I know that multis don't appreciate as much as singles). Is there any redeeming value to this idea? I figure I am going to buy a personal residence in the next five years anyway, so might as well take advantage of the FHA program. Or is this stupid and should I just keep my expenses crazy low like they are right now and invest invest invest somewhere else? My gut tells me the latter.

Any words of wisdom?  Were you ever in my shoes?  If you weren't, what would you do if you could turn back the clock?

Loading replies...