• Virginia Beach, VA (Virginia Beach)
Votes |
Debt

Scott Rowsick
  • Realtor
  • Virginia Beach, VA (Virginia Beach)
Posted Jan 24 2015, 21:13

Hey All,

This is perhaps the one question that, without a clear and concise answer, stops me from getting the ball rolling with investing.  My fiance and I are recent college grads with significant student debt.  After taxes, our yearly incomes, together, make our debt-to-income ratio about one-to-one.  Also, due to our family, work, school, and life circumstances growing-up, our current savings is in the mid-four figures.  So things are tight.  Month-to-month cash flow is comfortable--we certainly aren't destitute--and we both work full-time.  Circumstances are never excuses, however, the situation "is what it is", so to speak.

What is my best plan of attack in this scenario?  I've looked around and haven't found a similar discussion, so I'm asking for a little bit of help.  My original plan was going to be the following; wholesale for a few years in order to pay down/off debts.  Continue this to build-up 3-6 months worth of expenses and a down-payment on a buy-and-live home.  Continue this for longer to save up for fix-and-flips, and continue until opportunities emerge in multi-family markets.  The economies of scale in multifamily residential attracts me.  I believe this to be my long-term niche.  

What would you do in my shoes?  What are my possibilities for the here and now?  And, although I'm sure of your answer to this question, I feel as if I must ask it; Can I do this? 

Thank you all again.  As always.

Scott

Loading replies...