• Cleveland, OH
Votes |
First Real Estate Job

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Posted Mar 25 2015, 16:02

Hi All,

I'm currently working in the finance department of a fortune 500 company and am just starting out in real estate investing on the side. I've been told that one of the best ways to start out and learn about REI is to study and become a licensed agent. I'm about 3/4 of the way through pre-licensing courses and am learning a ton of relevant information. I am looking to start investing through buy-and-hold properties and eventually have enough passive income to be able to quit my job and work as a full time investor.

I am currently looking to switch jobs and begin working in a real-estate-related position to gain knowledge and comfortability in the real estate field while at the same time maintaining a decent W-2 so that I can eventually (long-run) invest full time.

My question for BP is: What do full time RE investors such as yourselves believe would be the best possible first job in the industry to eventually end up as a full time residential investor?

I have heard many people say that the best first job would be a residential sales agent, which I'm not ruling out. I'm also very interested in working in the commercial industry, but am not sure if its the best move with my end goal.

Other options that I have applied for and are interested in include:

Commercial RE Associate

Commercial RE Business Analyst

Commercial RE Financial Analyst

Commercial Mortgage Broker

Bookkeeper Administrative Assistant

Leasing Administrator

Leasing Consultant

Property/Assistant Property Manager

Property Management Accountant

Assistant to RE Agent

Loan Originator

Mortgage Loan Processor

I have a B.S. in financial services and a background in accounting/finance, so I am leaning towards landing a Financial Analyst or Accountant position at a commercial RE company.

Any thoughts or reasons why I should aim for certain positions are appreciated.

Loading replies...