Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Eric T.
  • Investor
  • Fullerton, CA
Votes |
Out of state investing - Where to begin?

Eric T.
  • Investor
  • Fullerton, CA
Posted May 4 2015, 12:28

So I've been lurking these forums for the past year (and saving up some capital for a down payment). I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick walk through on how buying out of state works (looking into the midwest area, ie Kansas City and Indianapolis, if that makes any difference). I imagine it would go something like this:

1. Find a property management company - let them know I'm an out of state investor, find out more about the micro environment of particular neighborhoods, etc. Perhaps get recommendations on realtors?

2. Get in touch with a real estate agent from the area and start getting property deals that I can check out/analyze. 

3. At the same time, find a local bank to get pre-approved for a loan so that when I find a deal I like I can immediately put in an offer.

Does that sound about right? Or should I find an agent first? Should I do it through a bank or should I be looking for private lenders/seller financed homes? This is my first property (ever!) that I plan on buying. Never owned a home in my life so any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Loading replies...