Votes
Mark S.
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
Is it time to quit my day job?

Mark S.
  • Plano, TX
Posted May 23 2015, 23:06

Hey everyone!  I wanted to reach out an here your thoughts on my situation.

I have recently been presented with an amazing opportunity and am weighing my choices.  My company has gone through a round of layoffs (financial services industry is always laying off) and I was given the option to take a package.  The package is pretty amazing, basically I am paid from now through February with the same pay, same benefits, same everything....  I lose about $5k in company vested 401k but that is it.

This presents an amazing opportunity to expand my portfolio, I currently own 2 duplexes which are cash flowing very well (about $1k p/m), but this is no where near my monthly expenses.  I believe I can get another couple of units and possibly a larger multi (16 units) by February and then find a job if I have not replaced my income with real estate.  

While it is a great opportunity I am not sure if I really need to quit my job to do these deals and continue growing my portfolio.  I am hesitant to stay at my job because and I know that I will not work as hard at finding new deals if I don't have some pressure to make it happen.  If I have to go out and build an income stream to feed my family I will be very motivated.  I have a wife (worlds hardest working stay at home mom) and two toddlers.

On the other hand though I have a pretty easy job which pays really well and allows me time to work on real estate while I am at work.  I am the only breadwinner in my family and two young kids depend on me.  That being said, I am confident I can get a promotion and a raise to stay with my company...   My boss is very upset at the prospect of me leaving, 

Its a tough call and I am on the fence.... Any thoughts?

Loading replies...