Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Erika C.
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
First Time Investor In Crazy Denver Market Looking For Advice And Perspective - Please Help!!

Erika C.
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jun 26 2015, 07:32

Dear Bigger Pockets Community,

I am a first time home buyer that has almost officially survived the crazy Denver housing market. I have been looking to buy my first home for over a year, and have been beat out on houses at least a dozen times due to all cash buyers, a low appraisal and people who were simply bidding more then me.

I am finally under contract on a big old house that has been converted into a triplex. If all goes according to plan...I will only be paying $550 for my mortgage and that includes utilities for the entire unit and cable. I am very exciting about this house hacking opportunity but I just want to make sure it is indeed a good deal and I know what I'm getting myself into.

The Drama: I currently live with my boyfriend in Jefferson Park. He bought his house in  September 2013 for $315 and six months after we lived there an investor bought it for $480. The house we live in is a cute renovated victorian that is close to everything. The house was built in 1885, beautiful, in great shape and frankly I am very sad they are going to tear it down and build fugly overpriced apartment buildings. Since, he bought it, I didn't have a lot of say in what was going to happen to it. While I agree it is a great economic opportunity for him - it would mean we were going to have to find another place to live in the crazy Denver market and a historic house in Denver is going to be torn down forever. 

After my bf officially was under contract to sell his house (the deal is he is going to close in August 2015 - I started looking for properties that we could rent out and move into when the time came for us to move out.

Last summer, I started looking to buy a house in Denver with a $250,000 budget. There is almost nothing available at that price point in the city and by fall I had almost given up. This summer, I have a new job and am fortunately approved for up to $375 for a conventional loan and $425 HOA loan.

After looking for over a year I am finally under contract on a a triplex in north east park hill at the intersection of MLK & Leydon. 

My bf had opted to go golfing the day I was going to go look at the house so the first time he saw the property was during the inspection. At this time expressed he was not excited about the property and thought I should back out of the deal. He has pointed out every potential negative thing about this house and neighborhood and I'm not quite sure if he is being reasonable or not. Can someone please guide me on weather or not his concerns are rational? Or if he is acting spoiled about potentially moving 10 minutes away from down town Denver into a "less hip, less up and coming" neighborhood. 

Details on the property: The house was built in 1954 and used to be "the mansion on the block" at some point the split up the house into 3 units. The front unit has been renovated and currently rents for $875, the back unit currently houses a section 8 tenet and is in rough shape, but rents for $750...the unit we would live in we would only pay $550 each for the mortgage. 

My concerns:

Is the cash flow potential there? I won the bid on the house with an escalation clause at $390K - My monthly payment will be 2,295.12 + 250 for utilities. With no renovations whatsoever we will only be paying $550 for the mortgagee which is $450 less than what I currently pay my bf for his mortgage. If I renovate the middle unit and back units of the triplex...do you think I can get around $1400 for the 2 bed 2 bath and $1000 for the 1 bed and 1 & 1/2 bath units in Denver? The property is located less than 10 minutes from the heart of down town.  If the units rent out for the prices above I will be getting a monthly cash flow of $730 after I move out...Is it reasonable to think I can make cash flow off of this property? My boyfriend doesn't think so.....he said people don't want to move to this neighborhood.

My boyfriend has also said that he thinks people are not investing in north east park hill because he doesn't see any new construction or flipping going on. Is this accurate of him to think that? Are investors investing in north east park hill?

The property has outdated shingles and will need an entire new roof it the current roof is damaged. If this is the biggest thing wrong the the property, is that a deal breaker? Or should I just budget for a new roof in the future accordingly?

Is north east park hill a good area to house hack and buy my first property?

There has been gang activity in this neighborhood in the past, but the city has taken measures to improve this and things have gotten better....Is it safe to assume that it's only going to continue to get better?

Even if I have to put $20K into this property to make it a little nicer for future tenets, is this going to be worth it in the long run? 

Any input you have on this matter is greatly appreciated. When I found out I was under contract and was going to get the opportunity to house hack my first property (which I hope to be the first of many) I was ecstatic. But after hearing my boy friend literally list every possible thing wrong with this neighborhood and location I am feeling a bit defeated. Especially since I have been trying to buy a house in Denver for over a year. 

Please let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks,

Erika

Loading replies...