• Investor
  • springfield MO
Votes |
Advice for the New Guy - St Louis

Jeffery Neal
  • Investor
  • springfield MO
Posted Jul 20 2015, 17:40

I am about to get my feet wet in REI and looking for some advice based on my situation.

I have a degree in construction management and work for a large commercial construction company. I have grown up doing construction with my father who owns a small construction company in MO. I also have served in the Army for the last 10 years in a reserve component. My wife and I recently sold our house that we did a live in flip on and will be moving to St. Louis. 

I was planning to house hack by purchasing a duplex or a four-plex with a VA loan that would allows me to put zero down. My wife will be finishing up her degree and will start working as a Physician Assistant at the end of the year. Her parents have graciously allowed us to crash in their basement for as long as we need. I was prequalified for 300k personally and my wife will be making more than i am currently.

I am looking to get a solid foundation of rentals over the next several years and wanted to make sure that I didn't make any avoidable mistakes right out of the gate. I want to become a full time investor within the next 5-10 years. What advice would you give to someone just starting out with relatively no experience other than construction skills and the several books I have read.

Thanks in advance for your welcomed advice. 

Loading replies...