BiggerPockets

Cancelled Foreclosure Auction... Now what?

Forum Powered By:

11 posts by 7 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Webb Sledge

Real Estate Investor from Lynchburg, Virginia

Jun 09 '09, 02:15 AM

A couple of the auctions for homes near me go cancelled, and I understand that this can be for a multitude of reasons, but I'm wondering how I can find out why the auction was cancelled? I'd like to continue to track these houses... where should I start?

Thanks.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:30

Nick J.

Real Estate Investor from Scottsdale, Arizona

Jun 09 '09, 02:18 AM

start with asking the trustee

Teresa K.

Real Estate Investor from Independence, Iowa

Jun 09 '09, 02:23 AM

Forget why they were canceled!
You can go to your county web site or walk into to court house( where they record the real estate transactions) and look up by address or parcel number. Give the county workers time to make the updates or record the updates.
I am not sure why you want to watch these properties since they were kept by their original owner or purchased by an investor prior to the foreclosure auction. Do you think they will again be sold and for a price range you are willing to buy?
Are there no other properties in your area that are of interest to you? Or have you done all the prelim work in researching these properties and do not want the time to be wasted?

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Jun 09 '09, 02:55 AM

County of Denver publishes this data weekly on their web site. Many sales get postponed several times, but then end up happening. It does look like there are some deals at the auction, but you need cash on the spot.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Nick J.

Real Estate Investor from Scottsdale, Arizona

Jun 09 '09, 02:58 AM

Jon, does the website publish why the auction was postponed?

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Jun 09 '09, 03:29 AM

No, I can't see that they do. There are two pages with relevant reports:

Sales Results lists two reports after each auction. One is the list of properties that went to auction and the other is the list of continuances. Looks like most properties that are continued are only continued for one week.

Sales Bids shows the bids for the upcoming or previous sale (Sales Bids) and the list of properties for the upcoming auction (Sales Report).

Comparing these, it looks like a majority of the scheduled properties actually get continued. I'm not sure when the new bids are put up. I've just not watched too closely. As of right now, about noon on Tuesday, last weeks bids are still up. The auction happens at 10:00 AM Thursday. So, sometime in the next 46 hours the new bids must be posted.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Webb Sledge

Jun 09 '09, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by Teresa K.:
Forget why they were canceled!
You can go to your county web site or walk into to court house( where they record the real estate transactions) and look up by address or parcel number. Give the county workers time to make the updates or record the updates.
I am not sure why you want to watch these properties since they were kept by their original owner or purchased by an investor prior to the foreclosure auction. Do you think they will again be sold and for a price range you are willing to buy?
Are there no other properties in your area that are of interest to you? Or have you done all the prelim work in researching these properties and do not want the time to be wasted?

No thanks. I think I'll keep track of why they were cancelled.

I want to continue following simply to be aware of what's going on with them and what's going on in the area. I understand that these properties sometimes become REOs, which I'm very interested in as a real estate investor, or sometimes the owner will make-up back payments and get the house out of foreclosure (only to go back into foreclosure later), or sometimes the bank will decide to list it with a Realtor, etc. etc.

You can't pick these houses up at a discount if you don't know what's happened to them or who owns them. I'm just trying to figure out how to find out where they've gone.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:30 by Webb Sledge

This post has been removed.

Steve Babiak

Real Estate Investor from Audubon, Pennsylvania

Jun 09 '09, 06:55 AM

If you are fortunate enough to be looking in the right places, some counties will give the reason. I see things like "postponed to [date]", "bankruptcy", "stayed", "sold for costs", "sold to third party", and probably others that I can't remember offhand.

"Sold for costs" end up as REO; "sold to third party" can sometimes end up as REO too (when a junior lien holder put in a bid to cover debt owed to him, and ended up highest bidder).

The "postponed", "stayed" and "bankruptcy" listings are candidates to find their way back onto the for sale list in the future; they also present other possiblities as mentioned by Dan's earlier posting.

Often, the sale can be be delayed when there is a signed arm's-length contract for sale of the property, so they don't always make it back to auction.

And I did see (at least once) a default get cured in time to prevent the auction, where the foreclosure judgment at the county prothonotary ended up becoming "vacated".

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:30 by Steve Babiak

Steve Babiak, Redeeming Properties, LLC
Telephone: 6109082183

Alan Brymer

Real Estate Investor from San Jose, California

Jun 10 '09, 09:57 PM

I make a list of houses scheduled to be sold at auction and market to them. I assume that the auction goes through on all of them and stop sending mailers, calls, etc on that date.

I guess I could go through the added expense of tracking each house individually to see if it was canceled so I could continue marketing to them, but I haven't bothered.

I don't really care if they go through or not if I'm not buying them. This is usually a concern for the shlubs who attend auctions to bid.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:32

Webb Sledge

Jun 10 '09, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
If you are fortunate enough to be looking in the right places, some counties will give the reason. I see things like "postponed to [date]", "bankruptcy", "stayed", "sold for costs", "sold to third party", and probably others that I can't remember offhand.

"Sold for costs" end up as REO; "sold to third party" can sometimes end up as REO too (when a junior lien holder put in a bid to cover debt owed to him, and ended up highest bidder).

The "postponed", "stayed" and "bankruptcy" listings are candidates to find their way back onto the for sale list in the future; they also present other possiblities as mentioned by Dan's earlier posting.

Often, the sale can be be delayed when there is a signed arm's-length contract for sale of the property, so they don't always make it back to auction.

And I did see (at least once) a default get cured in time to prevent the auction, where the foreclosure judgment at the county prothonotary ended up becoming "vacated".

Where do you get this information?

I talked to a couple of the trustees today and one of them did not know why the auction was cancelled but gave me the name of the lender. She said that sometimes they are told why the auctions cancel and sometimes they aren't.

I called another trustee company hoping for the same result and she simply wouldn't give me any information at all about the result of the auction, and said it was illegal for them to disclose information about the lender or result.

Would the clerk's office know what happened to these properties?

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:32 by Webb Sledge

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums