BiggerPockets

Real Estate License

Forum Powered By:

23 posts by 14 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Jamie Dzierwa

Real Estate Investor from Illinois

Jul 02 '10, 09:54 AM

Hello,

I am looking into getting my real estate license, but I heard through the grapevine that all realtors are required to become brokers now, that you just can't get your real estate license to be just a realtor? Does that make sense and does anyone know if this is true? Thanks alot.

Bill Gulley

Real Estate Investor from Springfield, Missouri

Jul 02 '10, 10:11 AM

Hi Jamie, just caught me going out the door so to speak, going to the cabin! Where have you been, thought you'd be out of school and owning shopping centers by now! LOL

I don't think your grapevine is working very well, stick to BP! An agent works for or under a broker. You can be a broker and work all alone, by yourself.

For an agent or a broker to be in the multiple listing service, they will be required to become a Realtor. A Realtor is a member of the National Association of Realtors and they agree to a code of ethics and standarized transaction requirements and use similar form contracts.

You can be a broker or an agent working under a broker and you are not required to be a Realtor. Usually, you'll find non-Realtors that have a license working in commercial properties, where the MLS is not such a big deal, or in property management.

Hope that clears it up for you and have a great and safe 4th of July! Later, Bill

Dale Osborn

Mobile Home Investor from Spanaway, Washington

Jul 02 '10, 11:22 AM

My suggestion would be to skip the license part and get some in-depth schooling on real estate investing. Realtors are not doing so well right now so another newbie in the field would not really help matters any unless you have a sphere of influence of 5000 close friends to use as buyers and sellers to do business with you.

Curt Davis

Real Estate Investor from Memphis, Tennessee

Jul 02 '10, 01:52 PM
2 votes

I have been a full time wholesale investor for the last 3yrs and in the last few months decided to get my RE license. It is nice as an investor to have this b/c it gives you more opportunity to do things and offers more ways to make money. Some say its a waste of time but that is also the same person who needs a RE agent to get them codes, look up homes on the MLS for them, make offers for them, etc...
Its up to you, personally I think its a good thing.

Medium_buymemphisnow_stacksCurt Davis, Buy Memphis Now
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 901-207-8977
KAIZEN Realty 901-221-4041

Jackie Patterson

Real Estate Investor from Kalamazoo, Michigan

Jul 02 '10, 02:49 PM

I agree with Curt. As an investor, having a license can give you an edge when talking to lenders, title companies, other realtors, etc. Also good to be able to make a referral to an agent in another area. Since we work nationwide, I find it very useful.

Jamie Dzierwa

Jul 02 '10, 11:54 PM

Thank you for the replies. Nice to hear from you Bill, I am getting to that point eventually. It's funny that you said that about realtors and struggling. The only reason I asked this is because my realtor (a family friend) I have now that sends me listings had told me what I had asked in my original post. I was talking to him about obtaining my real estate license just to be able to due my due diligence, be able to get into houses when needed, etc., but when I was talking to him about taking the courses just to get my realtos license to use the MLS he said I can't just do that anymore they are making it mandatory that you become a broker as well?? I thought that didnt make sense, but I just wanted to see what others thought. My main reason for obtaining the license would be again to research market areas, search listings, etc. Thanks again for the replies.

Bill Gulley

Real Estate Investor from Springfield, Missouri

Jul 03 '10, 01:43 AM

Hi, that's a great deal of trouble and expense to go to just to peek in the MLS. If that's really all you want, spend some time with the family Realtor and peek in the MLS listings. You can take notes, view properties alone if you like (from the outside) and work a deal on the commission if you want to buy.

OTH, having a brokers lic. can be a big plus, but you'll need to really be buying properties for it to pay off IMO. I think you will be required to have an office, a phone number, bond and insurance...so if all you'tre going to do is look in the MLS, well, just not worth it.....but if you want to be active, like Curt, work both sides of the street, then go fo it.

BTW, your friend may have been speaking of his/her office, some agencies are made up of only brokers, here we have one named "House of Brokers" so no agents are admitted.

I have heard too, that some states may be going to one test and you may choose to be a broker/agent, just phasing out the agent license, maybe that's what your friend was talking about, but that rumor has been around a long time....be safe and enjoy the weekend! Gotta go get the boat ready! Later, Bill

Dale Osborn

Mobile Home Investor from Spanaway, Washington

Jul 03 '10, 06:02 AM
3 votes

While I had a license our state went through the changeover also. All agents are required to pass the brokers exam and are issued a brokers license. They then work for a managing broker for a period of 2 years before being able to open their own office. After I had my license - we got interested in commercial so access to the MLS was just an additional expense. Paying fees to the political fund to elect crooked politicians who sell their votes to the NAR lobbyists and then the way many conduct business drove me to turn it in! I no longer wanted the stigma associated with the term "realtor".

Peter Haymond

Multi-family Investor from San Jose, California

Jul 10 '10, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by Realtyman:
While I had a license our state went through the changeover also. All agents are required to pass the brokers exam and are issued a brokers license. They then work for a managing broker for a period of 2 years before being able to open their own office. After I had my license - we got interested in commercial so access to the MLS was just an additional expense. Paying fees to the political fund to elect crooked politicians who sell their votes to the NAR lobbyists and then the way many conduct business drove me to turn it in! I no longer wanted the stigma associated with the term "realtor".

NOW I understand why you're so against getting a RE license. I think I'm going to buy deals on wheels instead of getting my salespersons license...it's just that working a PT job for $15 an hour does NOT really give me enough cash to start working on RE deals yet Realtyman. I know in the military you said you were earning enough to put 40-50% aside in savings for your first residential deals. Well that makes sense.

I'm trying to figure out how I can earn money while in college so I can go in and start getting cash flow myself. Thoughts?

***Sorry for the triple post***

J Scott Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Ellicott City, Maryland

Jul 10 '10, 09:45 AM
7 votes

Originally posted by Realtyman:
My suggestion would be to skip the license part and get some in-depth schooling on real estate investing. Realtors are not doing so well right now so another newbie in the field would not really help matters any unless you have a sphere of influence of 5000 close friends to use as buyers and sellers to do business with you.

Just as another perspective, my business earned/saved over $40K in additional profit last year because one of our employees (my wife) has her real estate license.

In addition to the extra profit, we also had much more control over every aspect of our deals...

While maybe not for everyone, to make a blanket statement that people shouldn't get their license seems a little one-sided...

Medium_lishproplogoJ Scott, Lish Properties, LLC
CHECK OUT MY BIGGERPOCKETS BOOKS: http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Ralph Taylor

Real Estate Investor from Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Jul 11 '10, 08:42 AM
1 vote

There are a couple of considerations here, not the least of which is expense.This will vary according to your state and even your county, since Boards of Realtors are organized by county. In addition to the cost to obtain your license, you will have to pay the local board membership dues and MLS dues which may be separate charges and may be billed monthly.Many franchise companies will charge you a monthly rent in return for a commission split more in your favor. Your Realtor friend should be able to give you an estimate of the monthly cost in your county.
Another consideration is the fact that you will not be able to work independently for at least a year, depending on the law in your state. Whether your state law requires work as an agent under a broker as a sort of an apprenticeship, or whether you can be a broker from the outset and work under a supervising broker, you will have to abide by some one else's ground rules until you can establish independence. Even though you will be an independent contractor, the supervising or managing broker is responsible for your actions. He will probably want to know what you are doing and will certainly give you some feed back. He may or may not be helpful.
Don't forget he will be looking to you to do some sales. He gets a piece of your activity.

Ralph Taylor,
Telephone: 205-750-4041
www.RalphBuysHouses.net

Bill Patterson

Real Estate Investor from Portage, Michigan

Jul 11 '10, 11:00 AM
1 vote

Jamie,
Jason has a good point. Besides the $$$, control and being in the "inside loop" can be a great benefit. Also, the networking aspect can be of benefit. Realtors flock to anything with free food (and drinks). That's a good time to introduce your self and let them know what you are doing and how they may be able to work with you. There is always some outing or 5:01 party going on.

Not sure about Illinois, but in Michigan you can just get a salesperson license and work under a broker.
Bill

Jamie Dzierwa

Jul 11 '10, 11:22 AM

Interesting, thanks for all the replies. I am going to look into what the state specific laws are for Illinois and see if it's even worth it to me. Thanks again.

Joel Owens Moderator

Real Estate Broker from Canton, Georgia

Jul 11 '10, 01:17 PM

Yes license requirements vary by state.In my state of Georgia you start out as an agent and then have to hold an ACTIVE ongoing license for a period of 3 years before you can get your brokers license.

You can take the test for brokers requirements at 2 years but have to wait 3 for the license.Our mls's do not require a REALTOR membership.

Where people get confused is some states mls's are owned by NAR and they dictate membership for access. Your local state real estate commission cares nothing about the NAR and just if you have committed a license law violation or not.

NAR is subscribing to a code of ethics and that is all and paying to belong at the county,state,and national level.

Another item to consider is if you are an investor only you are given more leeway on what you get away with in contracts.If you are trained in contracts and licensed there are some tactics you cannot do like an unlicensed investor could.

On the residential side I could see you getting licensed to access properties,etc.

On the commercial real estate side you are paying for expertise and contacts not access.

Medium_allworldrealtyJoel Owens, All World Realty
Telephone: 678-779-2798
www.AWcommercial.com 678-779-2798 [email protected]

Edwin Brown

Real Estate Investor from Chattanooga, Tennessee

Jul 11 '10, 11:20 PM

We buy a lot of our properties from REO agents. I've always been hesitant to get my license because they might see me as competition rather than a buyer.

J Scott Moderator Donor

Jul 12 '10, 01:09 AM
2 votes

Originally posted by Edwin Brown:
We buy a lot of our properties from REO agents. I've always been hesitant to get my license because they might see me as competition rather than a buyer.

Not sure why you say that?

In my experience, REO agents love that fact that we have a licensed agent on our team. Basically, what I tell the REO agent is:

- We will let ourselves into the property (we have an agent key) to view it

- We will write up the contracts and make all counter-offer decisions quickly (don't need to go through another agent)

- We will let ourselves in the property during due diligence

- We will manage the closing process

- We will pick up the selling agent's check at closing and drop it off to him/her at their office

Basically, all the selling agent does is submit to the bank the contact we send her, and then once it's accepted and the addenda are signed, all she does is sit back and wait for us to drop off her commission check.

Oh, and we always drop off part of OUR commission check as well...as an added little bonus...

If you were an REO selling agent, would you want to work with us? :wink:

Mark Updegraff Donor

Real Estate Investor from Rochester, New York

Jul 12 '10, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by J Scott:

Oh, and we always drop off part of OUR commission check as well...as an added little bonus...

If you were an REO selling agent, would you want to work with us? :wink:

Why yes I would :lol: Out of curiosity, how much of your butter do you spread on their bread?

Thanks,
Mark

Medium_leavesMark Updegraff, Updegraff Development LLC
Telephone: (585) 666-3069
http://UpdegraffDevelopment.com Real Estate Investment & Property Management, Rochester NY

J Scott Moderator Donor

Jul 12 '10, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by Mark Claire:
Originally posted by J Scott:

Out of curiosity, how much of your butter do you spread on their bread?

We generally purchase houses in the $40-80K range, and for REOs we typically receive about 2.5% commission; so our typical commission is on the order of $1500.

If we've never worked with the selling agent before, we'll generally give her $500 (assuming a smooth transaction). For agents we've worked with before, we'll give $750. And if the agent has "helped us out" to either find a deal or get a contract accepted with the bank, we may give the whole thing.

Also, many times there is a $1-2K bonus for purchasing REOs, and we'll always give the selling agent 50% of our bonus.

Blaison Samuel

Residential Real Estate Agent from Newark, California

Dec 20 '10, 01:02 PM

I like J's answer on all the topics in this site, very practical and real!! I'm also a real estate agent in CA and getting more education in investing. My question is little bit out of this topic, I was wondering when your wife gets commission from her broker, does she adds that to your company's income so that you can save on taxes. I just wanted to see what's the best way to save taxes on my commission and investing income.

J Scott Moderator Donor

Dec 20 '10, 10:21 PM
1 vote

Blaison -

From a tax perspective, it really doesn't matter how the income is accounted for -- whether it be taken by the same company doing the investments or a separate entity set up just to get commissions. The reason for this is that the optimal entity for both these income streams is likely to be same for any given investor.

In my case, using s-corps (actually LLCs taxed as s-corps) is the optimal entity for both my flipping business and collecting real estate commissions. At the end of the year, it doesn't matter from a tax perspective whether I earned all that income in one LLC, two LLCs or a dozen LLCs -- the tax burden is the same.

That said, more complicated business structures may see a difference, but that is going to depend on your specific circumstances. Also, there are asset protection and accounting advantages to using separate business entities as well.

Personally, I spent a couple years receiving all the income through a single business entity, but now have a separate business that I use for real estate agent related income and expenses.

But at the end of the year, I pay the same amount of tax either way.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums