• Champaign, IL
Votes |
Yellow Letters and the Sheriff's Department

Scott Dixon
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Champaign, IL
Posted Feb 15 2013, 19:09

Only about 300 yellow letters into marketing for motivated sellers and just had a county sheriff stop by and talk to me about a concerned home owner who had reported me for trying to scam her. I wouldn't think that this is common but has anyone else ever ran across this?

I sent a standard yellow letter just stating that I would be interested in buying their house and sounds like someone was so concerned after receiving one letter that they "called the cops." I have a P.O. Box so the police had to at least to a simple check to see where I lived to come by my house and speak with me.

In the end I showed the officer what I was doing and put her on the "do not contact" list with him watching over me while I typed it into excel. The officer seemed to want to tell me not to proceed with sending anymore hand written letters out but I had stated that everything was public records and I was doing nothing outside the bounds of the law. So, he accepted the comments not to contact this concerned home owner and went on his way.

Has anyone else ever got the cops called on them for sending out yellow letters. I guess this is the day and age we live in with everyone so paranoid about people trying to scam them.

Chalk it up to an interesting experience in my young investment career.

Loading replies...