• Woodbridge, VA
Votes |
NEWBIE- Subdivison Developement

Sam Eligwe
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Woodbridge, VA
Posted Jun 16 2013, 13:39

Hi all,

I need help figuring out this process from beginning to end. My mother just inherited a small piece of land. It's 4 - 4.6 acres located right outside of Washington, D.C area. The location of it isn't as important as the process we are about to embark upon.

She was considering selling it to someone else but luckily she spoke to me about the land and I suggested that she be patient and we try to see if we can work with a builder to perhaps create our first ever residential subdivision. The land is already zoned residential. But I have no experience developing a residential subdivision. I know this is a long haul process and I am not afraid of this opportunity. Here are a few questions I had....Please feel free to add more commentary if there are questions I did not ask that I need to know.

So out plan is to work with a well known builder who can come in a help with development.

How do I reach out to a Toll Brothers, M/I Homes D.R Horton, Beazer etc? Will they consider working with us and what are a few of the requirements they will need?

In a top level organization such as the ones listed, for something like this, who would be the point of contact I would need to reach out to?

What are the steps involved in developing a residential subdivision?

Will there be any upfront cost for us, since we own the land outright and we want to work with a builder to to develop the subdivision?

I love to read.......What books, articles, or websites do you recommend?

What steps have I overlooked?

Again I am willing to work. I know this is not something that can happen overnight but I believe in my capabilities I just need a little guidance.

Loading replies...