Votes
Michael Rudd
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Whether or not to get REA License

Michael Rudd
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Posted Aug 23 2013, 04:37

Hello everyone, this is my first post to BP, after reading about 5 hours a day for the past few weeks on every article/blog/webinar/forum post I can.

My immediate concern and reason for this post is: Should I get a real estate agent license for my state now/later/ever?

Here is some background info, hopefully in the goldilocks zone of information (not too little/much).

I'm about to get started in this fascinating world of real estate, specifically "passive" income via buying and renting houses. My "9 to 5" consists of 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off (VERY far from my investment state), that pays well for a recent graduate. I will be using this paycheck as well as partnering with a friend(s) to buy rental properties.

We have enough to buy our first property and I am faced with the dilemma of whether or not to get access to the MLS database.

Utah requires 120 hours of training to get an agent license, but I cant seem to find out whether or not that grants me access to the MLS, or if I have to join a brokerage to get access.

The 120 hours is nothing as I have two-week stretches of time off (perfect for finding deals, etc). The problems arise when I can't fulfil my duties to a brokerage (if I need to join one) because I am out of the state half of the time.

I wanted to ask these forums as I have seen some great advice, before risking (potentially) incomplete information from schools/brokerages that might just want my money.

Loading replies...