Anthony Benjamin
  • Carolina, PR
Votes |
Undecided Exit Strategy from a REO property

Anthony Benjamin
  • Carolina, PR
Posted Apr 15 2015, 13:18

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a REO foreclosure property on a resort-like location. The apartment is a 1b/1b that needs total restoration, estimated in around 25k. One thing that will affect my cash flow are the Home Owner Association (HOAs) fees. Yes, it has 2 HOA fees, one monthly fee for the neighborhood and a quarterly fee for the whole complex. This is one neighborhood with multiple neighborhoods around it.

Current options that I am thinking about:

• Vacation Rental (higher profit / higher vacancy rate) – calculate that with 2 weekends rentals I can paid all the monthly expenses. The more reservations, the better the profits. In addition, I can use the property for family weekend vacations or second home since I like the area.
  • Montly Rent (lower profit / lower vacancy rate) – Cash flow around $150 monthly.
  • Flip (one time profit / waiting time for the resale) – Comp Sales are around 200k, and I planning to buy it for 100k plus the rehab expense.

My plan for now is to set this property as a vacation rental and use homeaway.com to manage the reservations. After the rehab is completed, I will like to refinance the property and take the profits from the equity. Then use the equity profits as a down payment to buy another property that will offset the loss/profits of this property. Then I will have 2 properties. A good way to start my Real Estate Investing path. I think…

I will like to hear about your feedback in regards. Any strategies, suggestions and/or options that I can use in this business will be gladly appreciated.

Sincerely.

Island Newbie

P.S. - This is my first post so sorry for my writing...

Loading replies...