Votes
Michael Garnto
  • Mount Laurel, NJ
Votes |
VA Loan Appraiser Issues

Michael Garnto
  • Mount Laurel, NJ
Posted Apr 13 2015, 14:56

Ok, I'm looking for some outside perspective on this issue, as I myself am just angry at the moment with this appraiser.

Ok so first off, the appraiser took almost 2 weeks before she decided to show up to the appraisal. Ok, not acceptable in my book, but oh well. Secondly, she only uses one comparable property to appraise the house, and on top of that, picks a house completely surrounded by business/commercial parking. My agent+the sellers agent obviously fought it, and sent her 15 other comparable properties that showed my house was right in the correct price for the area(her appraisal was about 15k under the average). She then takes ANOTHER full week(she refused to answer calls from both my mortgage people, and the regional VA office itself) to reply to them, and tells them she refuses to reconsider(though her appraisal was crap, it ended with the seller coming down another 6k, but I had to come up with another 5k at closing to meet the appraisal value). Anyways, after taking a week to respond she also decides to tell them she refuses to sign off on the appraisal until an inspection is done on the wood stove because the home inspection says it is required(home inspection says "monitor" wood stove since he was not able to fully inspect it). Now that is fine and dandy, but that is information that should have been given out to start with, not after taking your sweet time to respond and in turn causing my closing date to be pushed back.

At this point I 100% plan to request her name so that I can file a formal complaint through the VA. On the other hand, I know that I can be hot headed and can often overlook some obvious explanation on why someone messed up. Am I missing something here? Or does it seem reasonable to file a complaint?

Loading replies...