Votes
Joy Mondala
  • San Marcos, CA
Votes |
SHOULD I GET MY RE LICENSE?

Joy Mondala
  • San Marcos, CA
Posted Jul 7 2015, 16:44

I've been contemplating getting my RE license for quite a while as there are many opinions on the books and blogs I've read that highlight specific advantages of being licensed, especially if I want to acquire more investment properties (rentals, flips, and perhaps wholesale deals) in the future.

A few unique variables:

1) my parents own rentals that they'd like to make sure they pay me as the listing agent if and when they are to start selling these properties in the years to come. At the moment, I'm gainfully employed and would only like to begin pursuing RE license/agent activity on a part-time basis as my other personal/professional obligations keep me busy. But long-term, of course I'd like to transition over and leverage the passive income of real estate investing!

2) obviously, having the MLS access and being able to see the houses I want at the time I want is a benefit, rather than waiting for a realtor's assistance. It also affords me some slack when looking to buy and/or sell investment properties (a la Mark Furgeson's investfourmore advice).

3) I would like to begin investing in the San Diego, CA market as I have lived here forever, but will also be looking to invest in the Detroit Metro Area as I will be relocating there in the next year. How will getting my RE License in CA effect that as far as a dual-market investment strategy?

What should I do? Appreciate all the insight and feedback.

Loading replies...