• Real Estate Broker
  • Flower Mound, TX
Votes |
Just closed on 32 unit apartment

David Turner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Flower Mound, TX
Posted Sep 5 2013, 06:41

Hey everyone. Just wanted to share my success. It is a 32 unit apartment located in Dallas. It was built in 1983 and features 14 one bedrooms and 18 two bedrooms. The kicker about this property is that each apartment has its own garage. They are single car garages, but they are really long so you could maybe squeeze two small cars in them.

The property has a lot of deferred maintenance that I will be addressing in the next few months. The roof and gutters are the big thing. There is also a french drain system that is completely clogged up that we will have to clean out. The previous owner had just put in a mix of laminate and vinyl wood flooring throughout the units. The interiors are in pretty good shape, but the exterior is extremely neglected. The units have individual HVAC's and water heaters, about half of which were replaced within the last 2 years. The property management company I hired specializes in the value play. They have their own construction division to do all the work. They are a bit more expensive then the other companies I spoke to, but with all the deferred maintenance I feel it needs the extra attention these guys will give it. This includes a full time manager and part time maintenance person. Management cost will be about 10% plus one apartment.

It is in a section of Dallas called Vickery Meadows. It is a low income, mostly Hispanic area. It has the highest population density in the DFW area with approx. 44 units per acre. The area is in the beginning stages of gentrification with a new Walmart, Sams Club and Target having just opened up nearby. There have also been a few apartment complex's that have recently been torn down in order to build newer nicer complex's.

The purchase price was $850k with $50k seller credit to go toward the deferred maintenance so effectively a $25k per door purchase before figuring in deferred maintenance costs. I was able to get a local bank to finance it with a 80% LTV @ 4.625%. 25 year amortization. It is a 5 year note with a balloon at the end, but the bank has an option to extend for additional 5 year periods instead of re-financing. I wanted a longer term, but banks didn't want to go any longer without a steep rise in rates or larger down payment. Closing costs were $22,269.72 along with $2,100 for an inspection. Total cash in was $183k. Expected NOI (per property managers budget) $82,518.

I'm real excited about his deal. It is my first. I have a few other properties, but those are all partnerships that I inherited. This is the first one I have done on my own and will have control over. It is also my first multifamily, the others are industrial.

Loading replies...