• Real Estate Investor
  • Glen Saint Mary, FL
Votes |
A new tenant of mine told me he does not intend to turn on his electricity

Kenneth Davis
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Glen Saint Mary, FL
Posted Sep 15 2014, 17:34

Hi everyone! My most recent new tenant whom I had questions about earlier, did resolve a phone number issue, which of couarse he still does not answer nor set up a mailbox for messages, but hey! This new tenant of mine told me he plans on saving money by not turning the electricity on; does not intend to transfer his electrical service from his former apartment with the same electric company. I do have him on a month to month lease agreement and he did initial a clause in my lease that states he is responsible for maintaining the electric if the apartment is separatley metered.

Is it legal for this guy to live in the dark in my rental here in Florida? I dont see how I could be responsible for his actions of keeping up his electical payments either, though I know I wont pay for his electric either. His rental  very very cheap rent at $300.00 monthly, in lovely Starke Fl. His idea stems from a visit to the Philippines, where, depending on the island you visit my make due without many amenities that we are priviledged to have here in the states. My wife is Philippino and I have been there; so I kinda see his thinking, but dont think it is a good idea, especially since this property is a woodframe and winter stills causes some cold nights that require some sort of heating. I prohibit in my lease open flames and gas heaters. Starke isnt lovely at all by the way; has a very tuff crowd when it comes to finding decent tenants from what I am beginning to see and that ius probably why my quadraplex was a steal on the market!

Loading replies...