• Denver, CO
Votes |
Very Powerful New Keyword Alert Tool!

Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jul 30 2015, 11:19

With a little bit of programming magic, our very own @Edd Morgan has produced yet another invaluable tool for real estate investors everywhere.

This one pertains to our keyword alerts. In the past, if you were to set a keyword alert, you'd have no idea how frequently it will be used in the forums - you might be setting yourself up for zero notifications, or thousands.

For example, as a young padawan, I initially set up a keyword alert for both "Colorado" and "CO". Well, as you might imagine, "co" is used in many different ways - it can be short for "Colorado" or "Company", or used in something like "co venture, co investors, co _____"

If only I'd had a tool like this:

Now 340 alerts per month is pretty darn overwhelming for that particular keyword - especially since it may or may not pertain to my investing interests. This definitely was annoying for me the first time I logged back in and had 35 notifications and only half of them were relevant to me!

Seeing this, I might avoided that and simply changed my keyword to "Denver". Let's see what that comes up with:

123 keyword alerts per month is much more manageable. That means that 3-4 times per day, someone is talking about Denver on BiggerPockets. I definitely want to be alerted to those conversations and jump in so that I can better understand my market!

Anyways, I hope that you get a chance to play around with your keyword alerts! They might just be the single most powerful tool BP offers for the ambitious networker!

Loading replies...