BiggerPockets

How to figure market rents?

Forum Powered By:

10 posts by 10 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Sean D

Wholesaler from Chino Hills, California

Feb 23 '13, 01:53 PM

I live in CA where MH parks are around, but not very popular (about 4.5% of total residential housing). Finding the lot rents are easy enough, but how do I find what the unit itself would rent for? (I plan on buying units and selling or lease/optioning units).

I've heard that you can look to local lower end apartments and subtract 20% but that seems like a rule of thumb at best.

Edited Feb 23 2013, 14:02 by Sean D

Kyle J. Donor

Real Estate Investor from Northern, California

Feb 23 '13, 02:10 PM
1 vote

They are listed on Craigslist under the Housing for Rent category.

You could also try driving through the parks looking for "for rent" signs and/or talking with the park manager.

Josh McCullough

Jackson, Georgia

Feb 24 '13, 05:33 AM
1 vote

Call on a couple MH's that are for sale or rent and see what the payments are.

George Paiva

Multi-family Investor from Milford, Connecticut

Feb 24 '13, 07:48 AM
1 vote

I pull a few months of rent listings from Craigslist and use excel to slice and dice data to get Average and Median Rates. I like Craigslist to do market analysis because its really the only ad space that is used for rentals.

I noticed realtors that list rentals on MLS take a much longer time to rent them out. I haven't done much research on this but I bet its 2 fold. Not setting the net wide enough by limiting to MLS and being on the higher end of rent rates.

Ken Rishel

Residential Lender from Springfield, Illinois

Feb 25 '13, 09:20 AM
1 vote

George Allen who is considered the guru of consultants to manufactured housing community owners has a fairly complex and accurate formula for setting rents and he gives it away for free. I don't think I am allowed to put his email or phone number in this post, but his company GFA Management is listed in the Indianapolis area phone listings, and his number is also on the Manufactured Housing Institute websites under Indiana members.

Victor Belman

Ontario, California

Feb 26 '13, 06:03 AM

Look for rentals staying in the immediate neighborhood. Compare rents in few houses in relation to number of rooms. You can check this on the web too.

Bill W.

Real Estate Investor from Austin, Texas

Feb 26 '13, 10:08 AM

To sum up everyone's answers, check the local market. There are various ways to do this, as others have pointed out, and I recommend you use a few different methods to determine a reasonable rent.

Curtiss Brown

Residential Real Estate Agent from Sterling, Virginia

Feb 26 '13, 12:35 PM

Hi Sean:

Although MH's are not Real Estate, some people list them as such and rent them. Hook up with a Realtor friend and have them run some possible comps. The price that people are asking for is different than what they actually rented for and the latter is what you need for a more accurate amount. I like Kyle's idea of driving through the park, making new friends and/or talking with the park manager.

Sunny Jo Gardner

Real Estate Investor from Orange, California

Feb 26 '13, 02:19 PM

Many park managers own units in their own parks for renting out themselves. You might try calling some nearby parks and ask if they have any units for rent or if not, what would the typical rent be?

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums