Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Ever bought a house on the MLS and never met the listing agent?

Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted Apr 12 2014, 08:37

For those that goes through the MLS to buy properties and, have you ever bought one and never met the listing agent face to face? Assuming you are not an agent yourself?

I have one property I am in the process of buying, all contingencies met and now waiting to close and I never met the agent.

I saw the listing and called about the property, asked a few questions and requested to see it. She said she's tied up but she said here is the lockbox code help yourself.

I went to see it - actually twice - and after crunching some numbers I decided to send in an offer. I prepared the offer myself using standard state contracts with fillable PDFs and did electronic signatures, and sent it to her.

We went back and forth she did her offer submittals on here end - it's an REO - and bank rejected, I resubmit, it went back and forth, all negotiation via text messages, then finally we made a deal.

Then come time to inspect we had issues, water and electric not activated, shutdown due to non-payment. Agent said no bank would not turn on I said no inspection with electric and water no deal, so they yielded and paid off the accounts and reactivated. I asked to make sure we actually have water and electric before I schedule an inspection and agent said she would go double check but she's busy so I offered to head over to check. I went over with the key from the lock box, and flip the breakers and got lights and AC running, but no water. Found the two main valves one for each of the unit turned them on, no water. Finally had to turn the valve on at the meter. Didn't expect to have to be on my knees scooping out dirt to expose the valve handle under the dirt so I was on nice clothes hahaha. Got water on and of course a few leaks inside due to unterminated stubouts and or broken drains. That I was prepared for and had a dozen PVC caps and Sharkbite end stops so I put those to use. Now, the bank owes me money right? They have my stuff inside their house that is stopping leaks from happening.

Inspection day, listing agent is tied up but said I can go in and do my inspection with the same code.

Looks like no need for a physical closing will be just via wiring and I get my keys from that same lock box.

I probably will never met the agent face to face. Is this typical?

Loading replies...