• Syndicator and Fund Manager
  • Victor, NY
Votes |
Tips for talking to leads on the phone

Derek Carroll
  • Syndicator and Fund Manager
  • Victor, NY
Posted Jun 6 2014, 08:03

I've seen quite a few posts on here lately asking what the "script" should be when you're talking to a potential motivated seller on the phone.  People seem to be intimidated about talking to sellers on the phone.  I thought I'd throw out some very simple advice for newbies to think of when talking on the phone.  This is for both wholesalers and those buying for their own account.

STOP THINKING THAT YOU NEED A SCRIPT!

there is it, that's the simplicity of talking to someone on the phone....now go out there and get some deals done.

ok, i guess that i can give you some more meat.  The reality is that simple though.  If you're reading from a script when you're trying to talk to someone then you're not building the rapport that is necessary to get yourself a good deal.  There are a few reasons that reading from a script doesn't work:

1. you don't sound confident.  i don't care if you have all the confidence in the world, it doesn't come across that way if you have to read what you need to say.  People want to do business with someone who they believe that can help them.  If you're stumbling over your words or your conversational flow is choppy because you're trying to read a script then you aren't giving the perception that you know what you're talking about and that you are truly a solution to the sellers problems.

2. you don't sound trusting.  This could be the biggest way to kill a deal.  When you're reading some precanned call script, it's easy for the person on the other end of the phone to tell that you're giving them some rehearsed line.  It sounds like you're pitching something to them. You might as well send someone to a pre-recording, nobody likes to hear a sales pitch. 

You win sales (deals) by providing a solution to someones desires, needs, or problems.

So what should you do?

Listen. You need to figure out just what the sellers desires, needs and problems are.  Everyone will be different and therefore every conversation will be different.  

Ask genuine and prodding questions and then shut up.  Let the seller talk and give you all the background info you need.  I almost always start with "Tell me a little bit about the house".  Then let them talk as much as they want.  You can then follow up with things like:

- why are you selling?

- when do you need to sell by?

- do you owe anything on the house?

You can then add in questions about using real estate agent, the neighborhood, anything to give you a full picture of the property and more importantly, what the seller thinks of the property.  

Remember, dont make it sound like you're just going through a checklist.  Have a genuine conversation with someone and you will have good results.  Not every question needs to be asked on every call and sometimes by asking one question and then shutting up to let the seller talk, they will give you information enough to answers may or all of your questions at once.  

Happy to answer any follow up questions.  Good luck.

Loading replies...