Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Ron Averill
  • Investor
  • East Lansing, MI
Votes |
Would a radon mitigation system scare off potential tenants?

Ron Averill
  • Investor
  • East Lansing, MI
Posted Aug 27 2014, 12:23

In the areas where I invest, a small percentage of houses (that get tested) have a radon level greater than 4. The actual percentage might be higher, since many people do not even test. Nevertheless, radon is not a significant issue in this area, so many people do not have much knowledge about it.

I recently walked through a SFH that I am considering buying as a college student rental property, and I noticed that there is a radon mitigation system installed. This is not a common feature in this area.

My gut tells me that the presence of a radon mitigation system may be a deterrent to renters, even though the property "may" be much safer than surrounding properties. The natural instinct may be to assume that the house is unsafe because it requires a mitigation system. This is a naive position, but one that will be difficult to overcome without educating each prospective tenant about radon. 

Ironically, renters never ask about radon, so the property would probably rent just fine without the mitigation system, even if the radon levels were high. Of course, that would be highly unethical. I only mention it to emphasize the lack of attention that people give to radon in the area.

1. Considering the lack of local knowledge about radon, do you think a radon mitigation system would scare off potential tenants?

2. Are there any liability concerns in renting such a property?

Thanks in advance for your insight and advice concerning buying this property.

Loading replies...