Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Jacqueline Brown
  • Mobile, AL
Votes |
Under contract...property needs electrical work.

Jacqueline Brown
  • Mobile, AL
Posted Sep 16 2014, 18:52

I'm under contract on a home in a small town where I grew up. All things have checked out on the home inspection except for the wiring. It's a 1948 home (no worries, I'm aware of the headaches that may come), but I've requested an electrician to take a deeper look. I live about three hours away so jumping up to meet the electrician isn't really an option. However, I've learned that the sellers want meet the electrician at the property later this week. Would you be concerned as a buyer? I'm somewhat wary of small town cronyism and I don't want the issues to be softened or made light of if the house, in fact, truly needs to be fully rewired. The electrician is licensed and not some random handy man, but the sellers' agent is the one who suggested him. 

Here are the items from the inspection for what it's worth:

1. Significant amounts of contaminants or foreign material such as drywall texture or paint were found in panel(s) #A. No approved method exists for cleaning contaminants from panel interiors or components such as bus or terminal bars, circuit breakers or fuses. The panel and/or components inside may need replacing. Recommend that a qualified electrician evaluate and replace components if necessary.

2. Sub-panel(s) used older style, "Edison" base fuses. This type of fuse allows anyone to install incorrectly rated fuses, possibly resulting in damage to wiring. Recommend that a qualified electrician evaluate this panel and the wiring to determine if damage has occurred, and repair or replace components and/or wiring as necessary.

3. One or more electric receptacles (outlets) at the kitchen, bathroom(s), exterior had no visible ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) protection, or the inspector was unable to determine if GFCI protection was present. If not GFCI-protected, receptacles in wet areas pose a shock hazard. Recommend that a qualified electrician evaluate and install GFCI protection if necessary and per standard building practices.

4. The electric service was configured so that too many hand movements were necessary to turn off all power for the service. Six or fewer circuit breakers should be required to turn off all power to a residence. This is a potential safety hazard during an emergency when the power needs to be turned off quickly. Recommend that a qualified electrician repair per standard building practices.

5. Wire splices were exposed and were not contained in a covered junction box. This is a potential shock or fire hazard. Recommend that a qualified electrician repair per standard building practices.

6. One or more modern, 3-slot electric receptacles (outlets) were found with an open ground.

7. One or more knockouts were missing from panel(s) #A. Holes in panels are a potential fire hazard if a malfunction ever occurs inside the panel. Rodents can also enter panels through holes. Recommend that a qualified person install knockout covers where missing and per standard building practices.

8. One or more cover plates for switches, receptacles (outlets) or junction boxes were missing or broken. These plates are intended to contain fire and prevent electric shock from occurring due to exposed wires. Recommend that a qualified person install cover plates where necessary.

9. 2-slot receptacles (outlets) rather than 3-slot, grounded receptacles were installed in one or more areas. These do not have an equipment ground and are considered unsafe by today's standards. Appliances that require a ground should not be used with 2-slot receptacles

**The home is part of an estate sale and the children just want to get rid of it...the price and the area are the main reasons I'm seeking it.

Am I just overthinking the sellers' wanting to be there as odd? I don't want to seem defensive to the sellers, but I suppose I am since I am not local to the property. 

Loading replies...