Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Brittnie Stewart
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Home still in deceased name, family wants to sell after upaid taxes.

Brittnie Stewart
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Baltimore, MD
Posted Sep 18 2014, 13:24

I have been researching, reading, and learning everything I possibly good about real estate investing, I would say since maybe April. Finally after feeling comfortable with all the forums and articles I've read, I'm ready.

I did my driving for dollars and sent out my yellow letters this past Monday the 15th. I definitely wasn't expecting to get my first call only 3 days later! Nonetheless I am super excited. I spoke to a guy and immediately knew that he wasn't the owner that was listed. After going through the conversation, I learned that the home is his great grandmothers, that passed and left the home to his mother. His mom is on disability and hasn't been able to pay the taxes. He said that someone paid the taxes and is now asking for the money back plus interest or they have to vacate. I assumed that this happened at a tax sale auction.

I told him that I would look into how we can get those fees paid off and still get money for him and his mom to be able to move. I guess my question is, what's next? Can the mom rightfully sell with the home still being in the great grandmas name? If yes, is there any way we can get the process slowed with ensuring to the certificate holder that the money will come to pay him back?

I got this far and now I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

Loading replies...