Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Scott Nipp
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Possible "Sub To" deal in Fort Worth, TX...

Scott Nipp
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Posted Sep 24 2014, 14:52

I have been looking at a possible deal in Lake Country (subdivision in Fort Worth, TX 76179) on a SFR. Here are the specs on the house...

• 3/2/2 single story w/ pool
  • Needs only minor touch up and major work or new A/C system. So total rehab ~$6k.
  • Current balance: $135,489.57
  • Mortgage company: Wells Fargo
  • Payments w/ escrow: $1388
  • Payments w/o escrow: $760
  • Interest rate: 4.750%
  • Number of payments left: 326

Now for the complications... The owner has begun a loan modification with Wells Fargo. She has made one payment on this loan modification program and has two more to go. Here are the details after the loan modification...

• Payments w/ escrow: $1317
  • Interest rate: 4.250%Term: 360mo
Here are the comps for that neighborhood...
  • ARV: $145k but likely higher up to $160k
  • Rental: $1400-1600/mo
I'm concerned about this mortgage being with Wells Fargo and them actually executing the DOS clause. This would probably be a deal killer as this would add a huge out of pocket for us in the down payment and closing costs to finance this ourselves. Instead of being about $6-7k out of pocket to obtain control of the property this would jump to upwards of $15k - 30k.
Wells Fargo suggested the possibility of a short sale, which might be a good option if we could get them down low enough. They also said that they would sell the property for the owner if necessary with a "deed in lieu", but the owner was in over her head and I don't think she got much in the way of details here.
Obviously we want to maximize our profit on this deal if there is a deal to be made here, but I'm not sure how to do that. Additionally, I would like to recommend the option for the owner that is going to be best for her in terms of preserving her credit. What would you recommend in this situation?

Loading replies...