• Investor
  • Lansing, MI
Votes |
Property Insurance: is it worth it?

Bao Nguyen
  • Investor
  • Lansing, MI
Posted Oct 12 2014, 13:45

Some will undoubtedly think I'm crazy, but I invite B&H investors who owns 5+ SFH to give their inputs on my thoughts about forgoing property insurance on my 3 SFHs.

Here's why I'm thinking of forgoing property insurance:

1) In the past 20yrs of owning all 3 units, I've had the following claims:

1 floor damage due to dishwasher leak, 1 garage roof damage due large tree branches falling down, 1 burst pipe due to the extreme cold, 1 act of vandalism that ruined a bay window.  The insurance company paid for the floor damage from the dishwasher leak, and didn't pay for anything else, either because the $1000 deductible exceed the repairs or I didn't have the riders/extra coverage required (vandalism for example).

2) In the past 20yrs, I've paid the following : $650/year/SFH (average) = $39k (assuming no inflation nor interest). My rental homes are valued ~$50k, I can almost buy another unit in cash every 20yrs at this rate, instead of settling only for flooring replacement.

3) If I were to keep property insurance, I would more than likely increase the deductible to $2k to reduce premiums.  At $2k deductible, the insurance company would cover virtually nothing in my opinion since most things that go wrong are under $2k to fix.  Again, very few natural disasters in my area other than risk of fire.  And if that fire was vandalism, then I'm probably going to get screwed by some insurance lingo verbiage that I didn't really understand because I didn't spend hours perusing the insurance booklet of fine prints.

4) If I save $1850/year for my 3 units, I'd put that in my own insurance fund. in 10 years, something will most likely go wrong (furnance blew up from spontaneous combustion, aliens decided to zap my bay window again..whatever). $18k in 10yrs, I think $18k would pretty much cover whatever I needed to fix from a "big disaster" on a $50k SFH. This "self-insurance" makes more and more sense as I accumulate more and more properties.

5) I would buy some type of umbrella liability insurance to cover me from lawsuits.  

Let's assume I would buy insurance when required due to loan requirements from the bank - but if I can help it, no insurance.  

What are your thoughts on my craziness?

Loading replies...