Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
David Roberts
  • Brownstown, MI
Votes |
Interesting Counter Offer Question (Can I do it?)

David Roberts
  • Brownstown, MI
Posted Oct 22 2014, 11:37

So I offered 80k on a house yesterday.  The sellers came back with a counter offer of 85k (they asking 89.9k).  I thought this might happen, because they bought the home in 2009 for 95k.

They claim that 85k is their breakeven point on the loan, otherwise they would have to 'short sell'.  That's what the selling agent told my agent. 

So let's assume for a second that they really do need 85k to break even.  Is there a counter offer that I could do to get around this, to help them?  I want to stay at 80k (as I think it's more than a reasonable offer), but if they are willing to sell it to me for 80k and need out of the loan, can I do a side offer (or through the purchase agreement) where I give them 5k as a loan to pay me back with an interest rate over 1-2 years?  I would be willing to give them cash.

Can that be done? 

Is there a more efficient way to go about this, that protects me?  I think in Michigan the max amount a person can lend another person is 7% simple interest.  Maybe others in Michigan know about this.

Thanks.  I would like to get back with them today with a counter offer that has something to do with this.

Loading replies...