• Newark, CA
Votes |
LLCs as a CA resident - good idea?

Neil Anthony
  • Accountant
  • Newark, CA
Posted Oct 24 2014, 13:58

Hi all,

I'm still in the learning stages of SFH investing, particularly out of state (I'm in the SF Bay Area), but I wanted to make sure I understand the basics of opening an LLCs for REI purposes. I know the basic reason to place property inside of one is asset protection. And I'm a tax professional, so I understand the taxation issues. But I'm looking for opinions on if it's a actually a good idea for someone living in CA.

if I create an LLC in another state, I would still have to pay CA $800 for every LLC I own. Out of state LLCs are treated as foreign LLCs in CA. So already, that's a huge expense if I'm cash-flowing say $1,200 a year.

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but there are potential problems with owning property in an LLC:

• It's harder to get a SFH loan for anything being bought by an LLC.
  • Additionally, it would be harder to refinance/pull cash out if it's in an LLC.
  • There's a chance, albeit apparently small, that a lending company would call the loan due if you change title/ownership from your name to an LLC.

Am I missing anything here? For CA residents, maybe a basic umbrella policy would suffice?

Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks!

Loading replies...