• Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Inspection Shows Water in Crawlspace

Fene Cartlidge
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Posted Jan 27 2015, 10:39

I am from California originally and the homes there are predominantly on slab foundations.  So I have little experience with crawlspaces.

I just received the home inspection of a duplex I am in contract.  The inspector has found standing water in crawl space, and more seriously, water intrusion on the back wall of the crawlspace. No damage to the foundation is evident yet.  He could not determine the cause of the water but saw stains on the blocks.  There is also slight mold on the floorboards so it would suggest that this space has had water for a little while at least.

The inspector recommended a review from a certified crawlspace/foundation company.  I am inclined to write my counter after inspection to include a request for the seller to obtain a report of the existing problem and possible solutions.

Even if the seller fixes it, how big a problem could it potentially be in the future?

Thanks for your thoughts!  I know this is a common problem but would love to hear solutions from experienced investors with more deals under their belt than I have.

Loading replies...