Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Mike Barry
  • Plainfield, IL
Votes |
Home Equity Line vs Cash out Refi: Which is better to fund my next deal?

Mike Barry
  • Plainfield, IL
Posted Jan 30 2015, 11:57

Hi all,

Newbie on the forum here and to investing. I currently have two rental properties, and am looking to acquire funds for my third. I am looking at either a Home Equity Line of Credit on my first SFM rental or a Cash out Refi. It has been extremely difficult to find a bank willing to lend a home equity line on an investment property, but I did find one who will lend up to 75% loan to value. I've also fund several cash out refinance options who also will only lend up to 75% loan to value. 

The advantage I see with a cash out refinance is I will also have the ability to lower my interest rate by about 1.25% however the cash to close is much much higher than if I went with a HELOC. (5k vs about $850 appraisal/origination fee).

Does anybody here have any experience using either of these two options for funding? Are there any advantages/disadvantages I should be taking into consideration? Prefer one over the other?

Thanks all for your help. I'm looking forward to using BP as a great networking tool!

Loading replies...