Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dunn
  • Olive Branch, MS
Votes |
1 bed 1 bath " converting " it into .....

Michael Dunn
  • Olive Branch, MS
Posted May 23 2015, 15:24

a 2 bed 1 bath house

I need some advice , as well as what I can expect please.... once I add a closet , as well as put in an operable window in one of the rooms of this property I am trying to buy

A quick backstory :

I paid for and had an appraiser come out and look at the property

The property was built around 1945 , it has 2 bedrooms and 1 bath in the main living space ( about 1,300 sqft. ) , and then it also has a detached ( although it is attached via the roof line ) .... has a second living unit ( that use to be a workshop when the house was originally built ). This second living area has it's own kitchen , bathroom , bedroom and washer and dryer

Well when the appraiser came out a few weeks ago, he said that we couldn't put a value on it, since it only has 1 bed and 1 bath , and that there are no comparable houses in the area, to run comparable sales against it.

I thought he was talking about the separate living unit , but apparently he was talking about the main house , in that one of the bedrooms doe Not have a closet or an operable window in it that you can raise up and down

So..... this coming up Monday , I'm going to go over to the property and put in a closet , and a window

My question is...... once I do this work, will I have a high likely hood of getting it appraised this time ?

There are some 2 bed 1 bath houses in the neighborhood, but as far as any that have sod within the last year for him to do his comparable sales against, that I'm not to sure of.

I was thinking that even if he can't find any 2bed 1 bath that have sold.... can't he compare it against 3 bed 1 bath and or 2 bed 1 bath , 3 bed 2 bath houses that have sold in the area within the last year.... and then add/ deduct form the appraised value for only having 2 bedrooms , and 1 bath ?

So he can compare it to houses that have 3 beds and or 2 baths , correct ?

Sorry for the long post, Its the weekend and plus it's Memorial Day on Monday, so he's not in he office..... just trying to do some of my homework, so I can know what he's likely to say , and especially of he'll be able to draw comparables, once I add in the closet and window on Monday

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it

Loading replies...