• Flipper/Rehabber
  • Roswell, NM
Votes |
How to get creative for the 20% down on rental

Aaron Hollingshead
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Roswell, NM
Posted May 29 2015, 01:33

I am looking to purchase my first home in Albuquerque.  I live 9 months of the year over seas but would occupy the home for 3 months a year.  My sister would live in it to take care of it while I'm away.  

I would like to finance it as an owner occupied home so that I can minimize my down-payment, is this possible considering my situation?  I've heard different opinions on what type of loan I would qualify for.  

If I cannot purchase it as owner occupied, then I've been told I'll need 20% down. I currently have a substantial amount of money tied up in two JV projects, leaving me with less than I would like to have on hand. While my net income is 65 percent of the purchase price of the home, I am just shy of having the 20% that the banks I've talked to want for me to have for an investment home loan. Plus, I'm just not thrilled about forking out 20% when I would rather put that money to work for me elsewhere and opt for a 5-10 percent down payment.

So in the simplest terms, if one uses math and logic, we clearly have the means to afford the house, but with traditional financing, the 20 percent will be a bit of a stretch for us.  Any ideas for creative ways I can get this done for less?  Thanks!  

Loading replies...