• Newport News, VA
Votes |
Advice talking to appraiser - removing C5 classification

David Zinn
  • Investor
  • Newport News, VA
Posted Jul 1 2015, 12:57

Hi all,

This is actually my first post, so greetings! I am in Newport News, VA.

I have my first SFH under contract. It is an REO and HUD will not make any repairs. The problem is the appraiser, siting mold growth on the floor, put a C5 classification on the property and made it subject to repair and re-inspection. HUD can't do anything, I can't do anything (because I don't yet own it), and the lender can't finance this type of property.

Any thoughts for how I can proceed in speaking with the appraiser? I want her to remove the "subject to repair" clause in the appraisal.

Another piece of information: It actually isn't mold on the floor! It is old water damage, but it is on a completely exposed concrete slab, looks bad, but there is no growth (I would know, I was just on my hands and knees inspecting it). The termite and moisture inspection didn't even mention that particular floor, and I had another mold remediation expert come in for a full look-through, and he didn't note any mold there either. He took readings of the moisture content in walls/floor in every room in the house.