• Rental Property Investor
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
Washington DC condo

Randy E.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Durham, NC
Posted Jul 28 2015, 05:28

I'm thinking of buying a very inexpensive condo in Washington DC in September or October.  I'm not opposed to getting a very small house, but I don't think my budget will allow for even a small house in the DC area in need of serious repair.

I've been to DC a few times in the past, just to visit and on business trips, and this seems like a good fit for me.  Though this will be a long distance buy, I'll visit any unit before I buy it, so it won't be a blind buy.

Now, my question.  Because of my budget, I'm fairly certain I'll be sticking to SouthEast DC.  A couple of friends have mentioned crossing the border into Maryland or Virginia, but I really want the address to be a real DC zip code.  If at all possible, I'm limiting my search to DC proper.

Back to the question.  Where would be some good neighborhoods and buildings to begin my search?  I'll probably head to DC in mid-to-late August, and again in September, for the sole purpose of scouting locations.  Each trip will probably be just an overnighter, so I won't have a lot of time to waste.

I want something very close to the Metro.  The closer the better.  Anything more than 1/2 mile better be extremely special or extremely inexpensive.  I'm not opposed to something being in "the hood" but I'd rather avoid any real threat of daily mugging -- I don't mind neighborhood flavor from strange characters.   I'd prefer a 2BR, but I realize I'll probably end up with a 1BR. I don't mind if the interior needs work -- in fact, I'd probably prefer it.  My plumber in NC is from DC and I'd rather have him do some of the work and find/manage other workers than trust (and pay extra for) any recent "rehab".  However, I'd like the exterior of the building to be in at least decent condition.

Lastly, I'd like the immediate neighborhood to be at least mildly walkable, with at least one store, one restaurant (fast food or otherwise), and whatever nearby.  In a perfect scenario, the condo would be in a dense neighborhood.

Okay, DCers, let me hear it!

Loading replies...