• Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
BRRR Strategy

Karan Nanda
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Sep 3 2015, 09:03

I was just reading a post by someone and he mentioned the BRRR strategy.

I like this approach but have a question on the refinance part of it.

I am still a beginner and the idea i have so far is to buy a rent ready property with 20% down and 80% mortgage from bank for 15 years (if numbers work out) else 20 or 30 years loan.

All the while i was thinking that keeping the loan for shorter duration will help as the once the property is paid in 15 years, cash flow will increase (no mortgage), and like wise you can plan to pay off all your properties 10, 20, 30 or whatever number. As you still have to pay 20% down it can't be near 100 i guess.

Some people advocate refinancing to take money out of the property. I want to understand this.

If you refinance a house which was initially having a 15 year mortgage and then take out your down payment and pay down the first loan, wouldn't you get into another loan for 30 years before the property becomes fully free. I am not able to clearly understand the benefit here.

My thought was to have as many free and clear properties as possible, so that if market were to go down , the properties don't go into foreclosures.

SO I am missing the benefit of refinance here, should we not try to pay off the debt as early as possible.

Please give your inputs.

Loading replies...