From the BiggerPockets Blog

BiggerPockets Blog »

Jump to Forum View All

Click a category below to view different forum categories.

BiggerPockets

General Info

BiggerPockets Q&A, Site Questions, & Announcements

1514 topics, 14412 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:53PM

BiggerPockets Exclusive PRO Area

117 topics, 841 posts — Last Post 04/23/14, 08:28AM

New Member Introductions

10994 topics, 86671 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:49PM

Real Estate Success Stories

400 topics, 6221 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:13PM

General Real Estate

General Real Estate

Buying & Selling Real Estate

6001 topics, 47283 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:49PM

Renters

651 topics, 5873 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 03:20PM

Get Foreclosure Help - Help Stop Foreclosure Forum

317 topics, 2561 posts — Last Post 04/23/14, 08:28PM

Home Owner Association (HOA) Issues & Problems Forum

238 topics, 1611 posts — Last Post 04/23/14, 04:02AM

Do it Yourself

660 topics, 6333 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 02:46PM

Reviews & Feedback

Real Estate Deal Analysis and Advice

3716 topics, 29810 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 04:47PM

Real Estate Guru, Book & Course Reviews and Discussions

1140 topics, 11615 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:04PM

Ask About A Real Estate Company

743 topics, 7348 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 03:12PM

Real Estate Investing

Real Estate Strategies

Wholesaling

5646 topics, 44003 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:56PM

Rehabbing and House Flipping

3354 topics, 31116 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:56PM

Real Estate Development & New Home Construction

554 topics, 4695 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 06:22AM

Innovative Strategies

705 topics, 6044 posts — Last Post 04/22/14, 04:06PM

Tax Liens, Notes, Paper, & Cash Flows Discussion

869 topics, 6702 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:46PM

Rent to Own a.k.a. Lease Purchase, Lease Options

700 topics, 4961 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 11:26AM

1031 Exchanges

143 topics, 1063 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 11:10AM

Foreclosure Investing

General Foreclosure & Pre-Foreclosure Forums

1692 topics, 11317 posts — Last Post 04/22/14, 09:26PM

HUD, VA, and Tax Sales

416 topics, 3103 posts — Last Post 04/23/14, 02:29PM

REOs

1217 topics, 10604 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 07:13AM

Short Sales

1539 topics, 13154 posts — Last Post 04/23/14, 08:25PM

Landlord & Tenant Forums

Landlord & Rental Property Questions

7259 topics, 71276 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:44PM

Mobile Homes & Mobile Home Park Investing

639 topics, 5146 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:13AM

Investor Basics

Starting Out

7739 topics, 60719 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:30PM

Investor Psychology

434 topics, 6130 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:48PM

General Real Estate Investing

4732 topics, 37336 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 02:34PM

Real Estate Investor Marketing

1740 topics, 14165 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:08PM

Commercial Real Estate

Commercial Real Estate Investing Forum

1414 topics, 9022 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 04:12PM

Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

1124 topics, 9410 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:43PM

The Business of Real Estate

Real Estate Technology and the Internet

Real Estate Technology, Social Media & Blogging

645 topics, 4913 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 12:21PM

Business Basics

Goals, Business Plans & Entities

835 topics, 7594 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 12:52PM

Real Estate Finance & Legal

Financial, Tax, and Legal

Tax, Legal Issues, Contracts, Self-Directed IRA

2803 topics, 20142 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:04PM

Property Insurance

312 topics, 2059 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 10:22AM

Personal Finance Discussion

330 topics, 2754 posts — Last Post 04/22/14, 12:06PM

Loans, Mortgages, Credit Lines

Private & Conventional Lending Discussion

2853 topics, 19851 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:15PM

Creative Real Estate Financing

1221 topics, 8870 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 03:19PM

Crowdfunding Real Estate

35 topics, 463 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 06:24PM

Real Estate Professionals

Real Estate Professionals

Real Estate Agents

1218 topics, 8051 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 01:43PM

Bankers, Lenders, and Mortgage Brokers

442 topics, 1931 posts — Last Post 04/23/14, 09:04PM

Contractors

268 topics, 1689 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:05PM

Local Real Estate

Local Real Estate

Local Real Estate Networking & Recommendations

2023 topics, 11775 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:28PM

Americans & International Real Estate

162 topics, 572 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 03:31AM

Foreigners Buying in the USA

62 topics, 409 posts — Last Post 04/10/14, 06:27AM

Canadian Real Estate

66 topics, 440 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:54AM

Marketplace

Real Estate Marketplace

Real Estate Marketplace

15097 topics, 54165 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:17PM

Real Estate Events and Happenings

169 topics, 2622 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:42PM

Off-Topic

Off Topic

Off-Topic

2909 topics, 32450 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 05:32PM

Housing News & Real Estate Market

922 topics, 8397 posts — Last Post 04/24/14, 02:57PM

BiggerPockets Real Estate Investing Summit

97 topics, 1752 posts — Last Post 04/23/14, 04:51AM

BiggerPockets Resources

Forums » Buying & Selling Real Estate » Cash Out Refi Strategy for Acquiring Rentals

Cash Out Refi Strategy for Acquiring Rentals

37 posts by 20 users

Signup

I'm close to completing my second flip, I just listed the property on my local MLS when I had an idea:

Why not cash out refi for more than I have in the property.

I bought the house for $40k in cash, I have less than $70k in it and it is worth about $95k.

At 75% LTV, I can cash out $71,250.

So, If I buy the houses right (cheap enough) and can fix them up for less than 75% of the appraised ARV value, why not cash out refi until I have the max number of mortgages and maybe even get paid to purchase homes.

Most cash out refi's require that you've owned the property 6 months, will loan at a max LTV of 75% and my lender will even include 75% of the rents in your DTI calculation if you can simply show a lease. With rates so low, PITI is rarely more than 75% of monthly lease, so DTI is never a restriction.

You can only have 4 mortgages traditionally, but new rules allow you to have up to 12 if you can hold sufficient reserves (6 months PITI for each).

I know it takes a bit of cash/capital up front to get started as I have been buying and renovating with cash. But has anyone pursued this strategy?

Anything I might be missing? Seems like I could potentially get paid to amass a portfolio of 1-4's.

Rehabber · Rockmart, Georgia

I've considered doing something similar recently, I'd love to hear more opinions. That said, I don't really like to use "debt" to do business, so I'm torn.

Real Estate Investor · Ellicott City, Maryland

You do realize that you'll need to pay monthly P&I payments on this money -- it's not free. You'll also need to pay loan fees and closing costs at the time you do the refi.

So, if you're still planning to flip, you'll have more cash in your pocket until you sell the property, but your total profits will be reduced by the loan/closing costs and the monthly payments.

Now, if you're planning to hold/rent the property instead of reselling, that's called landlording, and it's pretty typical for a landlords to refi their properties to pull some cash out. The big issue you need to consider is, if you're generating enough cash from rents to cover expenses and monthly payments, you'll be losing money every month.

If you're all in to the property for about $70K, you'll need about $800/month to break even on cash-flow -- if you're willing to wait 30 years to generate any cash-flow on the property, that's a fine plan, but your ROI will be tremendously low given that you'll need to be doing some work in that time frame to manage the property or manage the managers.

Now, if you can rent the property for $900+ and you don't mind the managing, it's a great plan for long-term wealth accumulation.

Again, this is what landlording is all about for many landlords.

Small_lishproplogoJ Scott, Lish Properties, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 770-906-6358
CHECK OUT MY BIGGERPOCKETS BOOKS: http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Residential Landlord · Union, New Jersey

I was just recently told that you cannot do a cash out refi once you obtain more then 4 mortgages. I need to research and see if this is really true though.

As far as obtaining mtgs 10 is the max fannie will allow as the investor. Past 10 you will need to start looking at portfolio banks and or private money.

I am UC for a nice 2 fam. had plans on buying it cash and than refing adn pullin git out littel later. I Was told if you have 4 mtgs or more FM won't allow cash out refi..

can anyone else comment on this?

thx,
Chris

@Jason...I understand your aversion to debt; it does entail risk. But with rates this low, I am intentionally leveraging up my balance sheet as high as possible. I see this as a great inflation hedge due both to the real nature of the asset and the fixed debt. And even if my property values drop, those gains are unrealized and I don’t plan on selling – rather holding. The real risk is in not cash flowing and having some hiccups/vacancies that make you end up missing payment and have the whole house of cards come crashing down.

@JScott...Sorry I wasn't clear enough but yes, I plan on switching to a renting/landlording strategy. I recognize that I will incur closing costs and the like and will need to rent it out to clear the PITI and other costs; the money is not free, of course, as you said. I’m also a real estate agent and essentially get paid 3% to purchase property which will help offset those initial transaction costs.

I am aware that landlords refi and I am sure many have been doing so with the changing rate environment. But, I am more talking about an acquisition strategy that entails buying in cash, rehabbing a bit, and then cashing out with a mortgage - when done correctly you may even be able to cash out more than your net investment. For this particular property I think $800 is certainly achievable, and I like to be conservative. Even if my cash flow is not huge, my ROI won't be tremendously low because if done correctly, my investment will be $0.

@Chris....Good point, perhaps the lender told me ten; it’s either 10 or 12.

Either way, from what I was told, the first four mortgages require that you have 2 months PITI reserves while mortgages thereafter (up to the 10 or 12 limit) require you to told 6 months PITI as reserves.

While this does require some cash, it'll be a few years before I'm acquiring that 10th mortgage anyways.

I would, however, like to hear more expert opinion and/or anything I might be overlooking.

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, Pennsylvania

Since you're talking with a lender, did you happen to mention that you have the property in question listed for sale? The banks sometimes have minimum loan durations that you will be agreeing to, and your expectation of selling soon isn't going to align with the bank's expectations of collecting interest for some minimum time.

Steve Babiak, Redeeming Properties, LLC
Telephone: 6109082183

Real Estate Investor · West Des Moines, Iowa

I did a cash-out refi last year with a large, national bank (Wells Fargo) and here is what they required:

-Ownership for more than 12 months
-Property could not have been listed for sale within the last 6 months
-75% LTV
-Full appraisal, extra documentation on renovation work, and A LOT of underwriting questions/requests/paperwork
-Took a little over 2 months to close the loan

Maybe a smaller, local bank would be different but that's my experience with a big bank.

· Carlsbad, California

I also remember my loan broker told me that, for the first year, the value of the property is always valued at the purchase price. So you can't cash out more even if you bought it cheap, at least for the first year.

Homeowner · Coweta, Oklahoma

@Jimmy H. It's a beautiful thing when you make it work.

Originally posted by @Jim Q:
I also remember my loan broker told me that, for the first year, the value of the property is always valued at the purchase price. So you can't cash out more even if you bought it cheap, at least for the first year.

Jim Q I do not doubt that your loan broker told you that. However, we are in the middle of doing a deal very similar to this and we found a bank that will do a cash out refi on the property's ARV, we purchased with hard money a month ago.

It's imperative to bank shop all the time. They(banks) don't even know what they can do from day to day. You are severally limiting yourself if you only rely on one bank and believe what they tell you.

Real Estate Investor · Michigan

Originally posted by Brad P.:
I did a cash-out refi last year with a large, national bank (Wells Fargo) and here is what they required:

-Ownership for more than 12 months
-Property could not have been listed for sale within the last 6 months
-75% LTV
-Full appraisal, extra documentation on renovation work, and A LOT of underwriting questions/requests/paperwork
-Took a little over 2 months to close the loan

Maybe a smaller, local bank would be different but that's my experience with a big bank.

Most banks are requiring this. @Jimmy H. I did exactly what you are suggesting in the late 90's - mid 2000's. I would buy a house for $60,000, put $10,000 into it, rent it out, and then get it appraised for $100,000, and get a mortgage for $75,000. It was great. Times have changed. Banks are unwilling to loan money to investors. Call some banks and run your idea by them. I think you will get more doors slammed in your face than a Jehovah's witness.

If you find a bank that will do what you're suggesting, let me know.

Good luck to you.

Homeowner · Coweta, Oklahoma

OOPS! I misspoke. @Donna Posey just pointed out to me that It is NOT a "cash out refi" we are doing, we would have to have had the property for 6 months with this bank to get one of those.

We are however, getting all of our initial money plus rehab expenses and up to 2k cash back. No money in the property and it cash flows. Good times!

Real Estate Investor · Ohio

You will also need to show six month worth of payment in your account as a reserve.
Good luck!

· Durham, North Carolina

Remember that with each property you buy, you add risk, management work, and short and long-term maintenance expenses. With 1 or 2 it seems quite manageable. The more properties you add, the less you will be able to wing it. For example, if you are out finding new properties and raising money, who will be doing the daily management and maintenance? As you grow, you will need to develop systems for running the business. I am thinking through all of this in my business, for too many things are starting to fall through the cracks.

Wanted to follow up post to report my success: the property appraised for $95k on the dot, as I had expected. With an investment of $70k and the ability to cash out 75% of the value,I am now able to pull out an extra couple thousand dollars - most of which will cover closing and transactional costs. Nonetheless I was essentially able to acquire this property with $0 net investment.

I actually just tied up another property and plan to pursue the same strategy. This one should have enough margin for me to cash out around $15k - does anyone know if I would have to pay tax on that gain as income? I know you don't if it is your personal residence, is the same true for investment properties?

· Plano, Texas

You do not have to pay taxes on refinances. Only when you go to sell the property, you 'may' be taxed, depending on how you sell it.

SFR Investor · Houston, Texas

@Jimmy H. Who did you use to refi? Was it a small bank or one of the larger ones?

@Jim Baum...do you have any links/resources that would further detail exactly which scenarios qualify for taxation and which do not; I have been unable to find much?

@Shanequa...good question: it was actually through a local mortgage broker who operates as a subsidiary/franchise of Ark La Tex Financial Services - they have operations in a good chunk of the southeast and Texas, I believe.

In general, I have always found the big banks to be more cumbersome to deal with and thus do not waste my time with them anymore. Of course, my loan usually ends up being sold to one of the big three anyways, but the application process is less of a headache.

When mortgage shopping I contacted two mortgage brokers and one small local bank and all three indicated they could do the loan. Two of the lenders, though, wanted to see two full years of rental experience reflected on my tax returns; I only had one year. Somehow, Ark La Tex was able to work around that stipulation.

In other words, I found the cash out refi mortgage process to be only marginally more difficult than traditional purchasing financing.

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Jimmy H.:
... This one should have enough margin for me to cash out around $15k - does anyone know if I would have to pay tax on that gain as income? I know you don't if it is your personal residence, is the same true for investment properties?

This is considered "loan proceeds", and as such isn't taxable - except maybe in certain odd "alternative minimum tax" scenarios.

Steve Babiak, Redeeming Properties, LLC
Telephone: 6109082183

Real Estate Investor · Cincinnati, Ohio

My concern is that every single bankrupt rental property operator I've encountered was using this strategy in the late '90's and early-to-mid 2000's. With this much leverage, your Debt Coverage Ratios can potentially get very thin, and multiplying this across an entire portfolio of properties financed in such a fashion, the risk is very high that a confluence of issues with the economy/rents, large capital repairs, high vacancies, etc., can bring down the house of cards and ruin your credit for a long time.

Personally, I've not wanted to put on any financing where the DCR is below 1.75 (50% of Gross Rent, minus P&I), or where the indicated monthly cash flow is less than $175/mth on SFRs. If you are finding good enough deals to hit these numbers, then I think you're fine, but it would take around $1,200 of gross rent in your given situation here, to hit 1.75 DCR.

And it's true that cash-out refi's are not permitted on Fan/Fred loans 5 to 10, unless you use the delayed cash out financing rule.

E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 502-321-6328

· Bismarck, North Dakota

What about taking out a HELOC on the property. The interest rates might be a tad higher but some of the banks I use can go up to 90% LTV.

I have one property that is financed by a 15 year loan that has amortized quite a bit. I have a HELOC to pull out the equity for the downpayment on the next house. Once I get it paid down, I pull out the money to rinse and repeat. Thoughts?