By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our updated Privacy Policy

BiggerPockets

Cap and Trade HR2454 bill

4 posts by 2 users

Rich Weese Donor

Real Estate Investor from sioux falls, South Dakota

May 02 '10, 03:24 AM
1 vote

In another thread, someone asked for more info on the proposed law for needing to have a license or endorsement to sell your own home. Also the question on retrofitting your home and needing an "endorsement" stamp from an EPA rep. Whether or not it is a Fed deal or left to individual States seems to be a question. Also, whether it is for homes built AFTER the new law or will it be retroactive. Attached are a lot of sites you may study for yourself. Like most lawas, the big brother tries to get a toe or foot in the door, prior to busting the door down! You decide, but at least be aware of what the administration wants to do. There are thousands of articles, blogs etc. Just google for hr2454 requirements to have a real estate license to sell your own house. Plenty of reading material.
CHECK OUT a few of the sites;

Cap and Trade: A License Required for your Home http://www.nachi. org/forum/ f14/cap-and- trade-license- required- your-home- 44750/

HR2454 American Clean Energy & Security Act: http://www.govtrack .us/congress/ bill.xpd? bill=h111- 2454

Cap & Trade A license required for your home: http://www.prisonplanet.com/cap-and-trade-a-license-required-for-your-home.html

Cap and trade is a license to cheat and steal:
http://www.sfexamin er.com/opinion/ columns/oped_ contributors/ Cap-and-trade- is-a-license- to-cheat- and-steal- 45371937. html
Cap and Trade: A License Required for your Home: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2393940/posts

Thinking about selling you House? Look at HR 2454:

http://www.federalobserver.com/2009/10/01/thinking-about-selling-your-house-a-look-at-h-r-2454-cap-and-trade-bill/

www.google.com/ search?hl= en&source=hp&ie=ISO-8859- 1&q=A+License+ required+ for+your+ home-+Cap+ and+Trade&btnG=Google+ Search

A lot of smoke if this is not a future fire, imo. Rich

Edited Jun 26 2010, 12:41

Rich Weese Donor

May 02 '10, 03:27 AM
1 vote

One more historical reference on the same subject. Everyone should stay up till 3 a.m. whenever congress is meeting at night!! Rich
Here is the article.

"Maybe as Introduced, Not as Passed"

The National Association of Realtors said that the energy bill, as introduced, may have caused some problems for sellers of existing homes.

Section 204 of the bill authorizes the Department of Energy to create a building energy labeling program to "enable and encourage knowledge about building energy performance by owners and occupants and to inform efforts to reduce energy consumption nationwide."

Section 204 (h)(3) of the bill, as introduced on May 15 (and as passed) says that a "State shall seek to ensure that labeled information be made accessible to the public in a manner so that owners, lenders, tenants, occupants, or other relevant parties can utilize it." And Section 204 (h)(4) says that a state can become eligible for federal funds to help implement the program by "adopting by statute or regulation a requirement that buildings be assessed and labeled, consistent with the labeling requirements of the program established under this section," or "adopting a plan to implement a model labeling program consistent with this section within one year of enactment of this Act, including the establishment of that program within 3 years after the date of enactment of this Act, and demonstrating continuous progress under that plan."

NAR said it objected to that section of the bill because it believes that requiring energy labels would "stigmatize and reduce the value of older properties." NAR said owners of older homes would "have to make relatively more significant upgrades in order to maintain their energy rating score and property value." Perhaps so, but even that language did not amount to an explicit requirement that old homes would have to be upgraded before sale, as claimed in the e-mail and by Limbaugh. And in any case the building labeling program was limited specifically to new construction only in a more than 300-page manager’s amendment, which was added before the House voted on the bill.

NAR says it was partly responsible for making changes to the version of the bill that passed on June 26, and it has emphasized that this version "does not create a federal energy audit requirement for real property," "exempts existing homes and buildings from any federal guidelines for new construction energy labeling," and "specifically prohibits any labeling during a sales transaction."

A Republican aide in Congress, who didn’t want to be quoted by name, blamed the confusion on Democrats making changes to the bill in the wee hours of the morning. The aide told FactCheck.org that the amendment limiting the labeling requirements to new homes only was brought before the House Rules Committee just after 3 a.m. on the day members of the House voted on the bill. Those who claimed that the bill would require energy audits and labeling for existing homes were probably unaware of the new version, the aide said, adding: "When you make changes to a bill while everyone in America is asleep, this is what happens."

Bill Gulley

from Springfield, Missouri

May 02 '10, 04:07 AM

Hi, thanks Rich! I have to admit, I was asleep too. But what I see is not a "license to sell" but a "label" as a disclosure to buyers, tenants, etc.

I'm sure most will disagree with me here, but let's say in two years I have to show a label. Let's say it's on a scale of one to ten and my property is a one/halh or nothing. I'm not going to drop my price! The guy down the street does not drop his price nor do many having properties for sale drop in price to off set costs of improvements. Buyers can choose and make any determination they like. If they want a house that is more energy efficient, but at the price they can spend, they will need to move into another less desirable area and perhaps school district. That's fine by me! If you wnt to live in my area, with this school and location, you'll need to pay for it. Additionally, if you want a better energy rating, insulation is cheap, do it yourself! I think that in the past everyone who has purchased an older home had enough smarts to know they were not buying a new home and really...probably didn't expect the old two story with gingerbread and leaded windows to be as efficient as the new home across town....kinda common sence.

So, I don't really care what my energy rating is, it will be burried in all the other disclosures for lead paint, who died in the bedroom 15 years ago, mold reports, environmental studies, home inspection reports, appraisal and mortgage documents....etc. I will still value the place according to comparable properties on the market and if the tree hugger doesn't want to buy it, there will be the next guy who can afford a 30% higher heating bill or update the place themselves!

I'm sure what will happen if the govt. attempts to restrain trade, that they will be bombarded with protest and won't be able to hire enough housing cops, since there will become a bigger underground property trade than already exists. What are they going to do? Bend my ID card and throw a tenant out of a house?

I've been pretty forgiving about much of the new legislation concerning housing, but it looks like it's going to get worse. I might just reconsider that passagemaker, a Hatteras would be nice, maybe a catamaran to live aboard and abroad! Bill

Bill Gulley, General Real Estate Academy (GREA) Training makes us GREAT [email protected]

Rich Weese Donor

May 02 '10, 07:03 AM

Bill- I understand that the EPA czar may change the code ANNUALLY, without any check and balance system.! That is what makes me nervous- the rules continuing to be re-defined.
Catamaran would be cool- as is a penthouse condo in Cancun, looking down at the Caribe. Rich

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums