Skip to content
Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Ramsuchit
  • Investor
  • Jamaica, NY
Votes |
pose as insurance agents in order to view the property???

Jonathan Ramsuchit
  • Investor
  • Jamaica, NY
Posted Jul 9 2014, 11:55

I am looking at a 8 unit property that used to be a motel. It is now all residential units. The gross rents are 51k. List price is 389k.

I know that price is way to high but the reason is that the property hasn't had an offer ever. Its been listed for 3 years and I believe it is because the live-in property manager doesn't want it sold. Here is why I believe that.

I called the listing agent to see the property. The agent left the seller a message but the seller informed the live-in manager to handle it. The manager said that only 1 or 2 units can be viewed to a buyer. No one would buy a place without being able to see all the units so why would someone say this? The manager must have a deal such as free rent for managing the property. She doesnt want to risk loosing that if the property is sold. All inquires about the property get routed to her and she dismisses it by saying that you will have to buy it by only viewing 1 or 2 units. 

I persisted with my agent and told her that I need to see all of them. She left the owner a message again and the manager called back my agent and said that we can get into 4, BUT, we have to pose as insurance agents. WHAT?! The realtor told me that is common since no one wants to alarm the tenants. 

Does anyone find this weird? Posing as insurance agents? I'm not one to blatantly lie to tenants especially since I am hoping to be the new landlord, what will they think of me after????

Is their a way to look up the owner somehow and contact her directly to let her know that their is a conflict of interest when you property manager is in charge of speaking to the realtors?

Thoughts on this guys?

Loading replies...