Votes
Jimmy H.
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
Office condo leasing strategy

Jimmy H.
  • Lexington, KY
Posted Apr 22 2013, 07:58

I've never invested in real estate outside of 1-4 family residential rental real estate.

I spotted an office condo in a development where the builder had bad timing (2006) and the development got foreclosed on. All units have since been sold. It is a two story, 16 unit development and each unit has 1,000 sqft. The builder was able to sell a few finished units at around $150k before he went under and the unfinished units have sold since (mostly in 2011) for between 68k-90k.

I was able to acquire the last unit which was an upstairs unit for $64,500 unfinished. It is currently under construction and should be completed within the next week or so.

My concern is in being able to rent it. I recognize the office rental market in my area is soft. I normally have filled my single family rentals quickly via Craigslist advertising but realize this strategy may not be as effective for office condos. I also happen to be a real estate agent in my area so I listed the unit on the local MLS yesterday.

My question is this: what are some other creative means to get this unit leased that I may not have considered? I have had no interest yet from my current advertisements/listings and thought I might glean some insight from those with more experience in this area.

My market:
Class A: office space rents for $15-18 per sqft +
Class B: office space rents for $12-15 per sqft
Class C: office space rents for $10-12 per sqft

I am currently asking $1,500 but am including all utilities (HOA, water, insurance, electric, taxes) which should make my unit competitive based on pricing for its class.

Any ideas to (cheaply) help me reach my target rental market (small businesses)?

Loading replies...