• Real Estate Investor
  • Longview, TX
Votes |
Where is Waldo-A.K.A. Deed Holder?

Jonathan Key
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Longview, TX
Posted Mar 1 2015, 19:22

My wife spotted a home less than a mile from our house when we decided to take a new route out of town to go have dinner for her birthday. She asked me today if I saw the house, boarded up and vacant. Of course me...nope!

We immediately jumped in the car and went over there.

Looks like 1950's 3 bedroom, probably 1500 sq ft. Big lot maybe 2+ acres and by my guess has been empty a few years at least. No markings, no mailbox, gas meter pulled, electric meter is gone.

The problem with East Texas is we will number our houses very particularly. There may be 2 houses between the 2700 and the 2800 block and only 2 lots, so it is not as easy as just counting the houses 2X2.

So I am resourceful, I hit the CAD, foreclosure sites, even Zillow and Realtor to scour for owners of the house. Its in my own neighborhood so I know what it is worth. I found Google street view and in early 2012 it looked like someone was living in it. Now all the windows are boarded up and it been a while since anyone was there.

I have found zip, zilch, nadda.

What are my next steps? How do I find out the correct address? Then what type of search do I need to do at the county courthouse to find who may be the mortgage holders if it was repossessed - or did it fall through the cracks somewhere? I don't mind the legwork at all.

Thanks for your help BP!

Loading replies...