• Investor
  • Mattoon, IL
Votes |
Should I take it....

Jason Cobb
  • Investor
  • Mattoon, IL
Posted Jan 18 2014, 11:29

Please give me your thoughts....I had an opportunity given to me from a fellow landlord. He owns the apartment buildings across the alley from my two apartment buildings. We are three blocks from a University Campus. Half jokingly a few days ago I mentioned if he ever wanted to sell for him to let me know. He smiled big and said, "Well, funny you asked. I am getting tired of the snow and cold and Florida is calling to me for retirement."

Two days later he invited me over to the property and showed me what he had to offer. Turns out he and his wife have been planning on downsizing their 34 units in three towns, and want to move to Florida by mid-summer. He offered me his 14 unit apartment apartment mini-complex at $485,000. I have watched in the last year all the updates to the buildings, however, he spelled them out on paper. Over $150,000 in updates; windows, doors, appliances, siding, insulation HVAC, the list goes on. It comes to $34,642 per unit. 12 units are two bedroom/one bath, two units are three bedroom/one bath.

It can gross $9,075 per month. Current is $8,075.

Perks: location local to my own, has office and brand new coin laundry, still close to university, the construction updates were done right.

Our financing would require private money for the 25% down, or more.

My wife and I are torn, but this is a well maintained and updated property, the proximity to our own apartments is great. Please give me your thoughts!

Loading replies...